587,324 active members*
3,358 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Need Clarification of G54

I just started a new job and they have this new Haas Lathe. I'm used to Taki's and Hardinge Lathes that have a WORK SHIFT page.I always set my workshift to the face of my material which in my program is known as Z0. I read the Haas Manual and it claims that by default G54 is set when you set your tools at Z0 in geometry page. My question is If you set your tools to the face of your stock and press Z Measure, then the control knows that as g54 Z0 by default (according to the manual). Then I get another job in and I want set my (workshift) or G54 to face of stock, after facing, do I enter "0" into Z in G54? Is that how you change your G54 everytime OR when you get another job can you just bring your facing tool up and press Z measure and that alone changes all tools? Please explain ? I have only worked on machine for 3 days and am very pleased with machine.My boss claims he never used G54. He asked " For What Purpose" He is not a lathe man tho, strictly Mill. Please explain,I am used to using WORKSHIFT Constantly, so have to know how to use G54.

G54 is the most commonly used work offset. It is the default offset, but you can set and use many others, G55, G56, etc. If you set your tools off of the tool probe, then you can simply set your G54 off the front of the part and be on your way. However, if you do not have/use your probe; you must set all tools off the face of the part. You can calculate the distance between the current part and the previous part and add/subtract this from G54 if you would like. If you set the tool offsets off the face of the part, G54 will be left at 0. Z FACE MEASURE is used for setting tool and work offsets.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

I think you might be asking about how it knows the difference of whether it's setting the tool offset or the work offset. The answer is: you need to have the proper field highlighted before you press Z FACE MEASURE.

In other words: if you're using the presetter, all tools get touched to the presetter and G54 is the difference between the location of the presetter and the part face.

If not, then you have to touch off of a tool you HAVEN'T moved or changed on the face of your part, set that as your G54, then move to the tool you're setting, move the cursor to that offset field, touch off the tool and press Z FACE MEASURE.

Of course, this contributes to all kinds of tolerance stackup between tool touch-offs. That's not the fault of the machine, just the process. If you've got a presetter, use it.
    Greg

G54

So, Im not using the probe,going straight to the face of my stock. After Z measuring all my tools on my 1st set-up tools are set. Now I have to reset my Z0. So I face off stock and say its more or less 4" longer. Cant I just face stock with facing tool and enter " 0 " in G54 Z ?

NO, while you are there with tool touching face
    press offset page Z column and highlite G54, G55 or workoffset you want to use
    then under F4, you have Z Face Measure
    press this one and value will be loaded automatically
    Robby

thx

Thx, So, It will calculate #, but will know it is NEW G54 correct ?

If you want to make sure b4 running the program
    MDI mode command G54; cycle start
    then request tool, lets say you have measured T0101
    T0101;
    G54X0.0Z..25;
    tool should go spindle center and a quarter from part face
    if you are working inch.
    single block and select 5% rapid
    then you will feel comfortable to run as you know.
    Robby

Thx ROby

And I assume all other tools will follow. So I dont have to mess with touching off each tool....... Thx Much

Exactly!
    Robby

One other question !

One other question, Do I have to use G54 in my program stating G54X0Z0 or will it know by default ?

Yes, you want to use it!
    even do is default, normally after calling each tool.
    because sometimes there is people that uses more than one WOFFST in a program.
    safety.
    Robby

Zeroing out G54

After running Job do I need to zero out G54 ? And Thanks so much for your help !!!!!!!!!!

No need.
    and as lona you don't remove tools from turret
    as all of them are measured.
    you change a part and only have to face again and get "new" G54
    with same procedure.
    power off/ on, you are set.
    glad to help!
    Robby

Z Measuring Tool #1

If I use Tool #1 say is a turning tool. Should that tool have a measured vaule in the z geometry value or should it be 000.00 if I'm using it to establish it for my Workshift in G54 ?

If you are using the arm presseter.
    all your tools will have a value for X and Z geometry
    and you can pick 1, 3, 5 anyone.
    But on WORKOFFSET colum, you will only have a value on Z
    which happens to be distance from arm presseter to part's face
    and value seen on geometry page is axes distance from Home to arm presseter.
    hope this makes it more clear for you.
    the tool you use to touch, is NOT a master tool.
    if thats what you meant.
    Robby

workshift

On Takisawas I never measure tool #1(Turning Tool)in "Z" on Geometry page. The Value I always leave is 000.00.This tool is the one I find my WORKSHIFT. I bring it up to my stock and go to my WORKSHIFT PAGE and enter "0" INPUT under Z column and it calculates the value. I was wondering on Haas if you Z Measure the tool you use to find your G54 before you set the G54.?

Not usuing presetter

Im not usuing presetter just going to stock.We have one but dont use it. Guess I should start.

I suggest to use it.
    if you are NOT using it, then you don't need G54........G59
    because you are measuring from home position to part.
    and thar's what machine care about.
    from tool tip to contact with part.
    How much did you travel On X and Z?
    these are the valúes shown on Geometry page.
    this case you use X diam. measure key (under F1) while touching diameter and type in Value measured X column.
    and for Z just press Z face measure (under F4) Z column.
    do this for each tool
    as long you don't use the arm forget about G54 or any other
    or if you want to use T0101 to get WShift you can.
    when mount different part, go to WOFFS Z column while facing new part
    and just press Z FACE MEAS, it will set distance difference between parts (Z)
    then you will have to use G54, 55 or any choosen.
    Rob

Thx Roby

Thx alot Roby, You dont happen to know of a good program to deburr threads do you ? I am cutting 1.312 x 12 class 3a thrds and both sides call out 45 deg. angles. Im using a threading insert but with the 45 deg angle its leaving a nasty sharp lead in and leadout thrd. Looking for someone who might be able to help !

R U using G 76 cycle?
    Robby

Page 1 of 2 12