587,092 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF3 error code HELP Please

Yesterday my 1998 VF3 ran fine all day. Shut it off for a few hours. Fire it back up to run a different program. Start machining and get a error code X axis Z fault number 139. reset it then get 224. Read the repair manual, and it says check connector P1 on MOCON. Cleaned P1 and X axis servo board connector. Fired it up this morning, everything is fine. After 1/2 hour, change to a different program. Get the 224 error back. Shut the machine off. restart. Now it will not zero home, because of 103 error. When there is little work to do, everything is good. Get a big job, now I have problems. Any help would be sincerely appreciated Stephen

Sounds like the encoder for x axis is going out. You can also double check wire and cabling especially under the front y axis way cover where all of the cables for x axis motor moves back and forth.

You can also try running at 50% or 25% and see if you still get alarm. If the problem only happens at higher rapids then most likely it is encoder.

Good luck!

I second the likely encoder issue, check the connections. The motor will likely need to be replaced, your local HFO can help with that.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

x axis issue

I am willing to bet my left kidney that it is the X axis cable and not the motor. In five years of working on these machine I have changed maybe 3 axis motors. However I have found many more cables that were bad. The x axis cable is the only cable that moves. Y axis and z axis motor cables never flex as the machine is running. X axis however flexes every time Y axis moves. I personally would try a new cable first. Personally I never change just a servo motor. I always replace the cable with it. I will however change just the cable (usually this is the case). So no matter what you are in it a cable. Just pray the motor is not bad ( I doubt it is).