587,132 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Model/cut path/code needed.

Hi, I am not sure if this is the proper area or method to ask, so forgive me if I am not doing this correctly. I am in need of the coding in order to cut 1911 pistol grips on my little desktop mill. I normally just hand hash my gcode in note pad but Ive only done 2d cuts before. If you can assist with creating the full code needed to make a little mill cut a set of 3d little pistol grips, I have some money to spend. I'm SURE the model exists out there, but my googling isn't finding it and I hate just to beg someone to give me one they are clearly using for commercial purposes.

Garp

Do you have some elctronic drawing of what you want?
    Runar Holm, Norway
    www.maxmekker.com

Garp, If these grips are contoured for a hand and must fit the metal precisely, this may not be as easy as doing 2d.
    how about minimum a picture of your requirement?
    Been doing this too long

Hi,

I dont have an electronic drawing, but I have a pictures of what's involved, and have spare sets laying around. I bet I could google up an official diagram when I get a break at work

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Garp, If these grips are contoured for a hand and must fit the metal precisely, this may not be as easy as doing 2d.
    how about minimum a picture of your requirement?
    Hi, They aren't contoured. I have a mechanical duplicator/pantograph I used for that.

well, With a little digging I found these, I have the PDF so it can be zoomed in. Right now I have the gcode to cut the bushing holes and the counterbores on the front and back. Here's what I would like to get, in order of desire:
    1-File to cut the outline
    2-File to cut the outline and the outer contour
    3- Additional files ( these would be a nice to have, not a need to have) to cut the checkering.

Garp,
    I sent you a PM.

Joe
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us"...Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Grip_Us View Post
    Garp,
    I sent you a PM.

Joe
    replied ;-)

Looks like we might have the outline covered... Anyone else interested in helping out with the contour or checkering?

your going to need a 4th axis to be able to machine the checkering and make it come out right
    BE NICE TO THE NERDS IN SCHOOL. THEY ONE DAY MAY BE YOUR BOSS

I can do the contour and checkering cad model. and generate cutter path for 5axis engraver. who has the machine? Wood? black walnut? ebony? plastics?

From the viewing of the print,
    someone already has the 3-D model, where is that file?
    Been doing this too long

The checkering is a nice-to-have but my little benchtop wont do it, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garp View Post
    [snip] ...I'm SURE the model exists out there, but my googling isn't finding it and I hate just to beg someone to give me one they are clearly using for commercial purposes.

Garp
    You didn't Google hard enough (try looking for the whole darned thing, not just the grips). Begging is not necessary!

Probably the best way to cut the top edge of the grips is with a 0.5" radius corner rounding mill.

Regards,

- Just Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Garp, this is do-able, easy stuff. The model could be done in under two hours.
    Should I do it ?
    The checkering can be done 3axis with hand finishing.
    I've done lots of this.
    PM me if you wish.
    Been doing this too long

Garp, this is do-able, easy stuff. The model could be done in under two hours.
    Should I do it ?
    The checkering can be done 3axis with hand finishing.
    I've done lots of this.
    PM me if you wish.
    PM Sent

Done, thanks!

I know this is an old post but if someone would like to help a new guy on this please pm me. I want to do some grips like this. I can't seem to get my cnc to do anything. It's a legacy and I use Mach 3 I would like these grips to be my first project. Thanks for the help.

grips

mcateercustom, how far have you gone into the CNC ?
    I can make this part as noted prior.

but if someone would like to help a new guy on this please pm me
    Been doing this too long

mcateercustom, how far have you gone into the CNC ?
    I can make this part as noted prior.

but if someone would like to help a new guy on this please pm me
    I'm not sure i know what your asking. I have had this thing for five years. I got frustrated and just tossed it in the corner and haven't touched it. I am I gues a complete newbie on the cnc deal. I use Mach 3 not really sure if everything is setup right as far as axis settings and what not. I would like to be able to put a piece of mdf board in the machine, fasten some cool looking scales down to the top center the tool somewhere one time zero it, and cut out the grips with one tool. If I could get to this point I may not take this thing down to the local scrap yard lol.

I am in the process of talking to a guy that is going to help me convert it over to rack and pinion soon I hope that helps a lot. I don't have anymore money to spend on this so I can't buy another program like v carve or aspire just yet. So till then I will have to get gcode made for certain projects. I have tried gcodes in the past with no luck. Like I said it maybe the axis settings or something. I know for sure spending 14 grand on something and being left in the dark by the company is some major BS :bs:

I would like a one tool easy code for grips for a 1911 if that is at all possible. I just don't know where to start. There is tons of stuff I would like to make like gunstocks, signs, etc heck I just want to make something!

Thanks for your help.

.stl and .dxf script

I know sketch-up isn't the best 3d software, however it is all open source and there are thousands of scripts and extensions that allow for CAD CAM compatibility.(SW as well but it is not free) Go to the Google SU Help center and search for the ruby script under the heading Computer Aided Manufacturing. With SW , however you will be able to have more control over your tool paths and a more conversational editor for the actual code if you don't mind paying for the upgrade. For the sake of brevity I'll leave it at that. PM me if you would like a step by step instructional for both software suites and pics of my 1911 and Browning HP grips. I used SU for both types initially but am now using SU for all 6 sets of grips I now make. B axis is crucial for machine checkering/texturing but if you are after a double diamond or half checker and are with out B axis I'd just do it by hand with a power checkering machine. Any "operator style" or more inventive texture, The B axis will be crucial.

Page 1 of 2 12