587,349 active members*
3,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ballscrew price

HI everyone
    I found in my local scap yard a huge machine with what looks like a ground ballscrew its big ,its like 2.5" in diamiter and about 6 or 7ft in length with major bearings both ends
    I coulden,t really see the nut asemblely its under a huge plate of steel that I would have to work around if its possible with out big tools
    so before I go threw the work and it would be work
    I was wondering if anyone would know what something like this is worth
    Its to big for for the machine I plan on building but it could maybe bay for some of the parts I do need
    thanks for all you help
    Russell

Hi Russell,
    stuff that big used by heavy industrial equipment would only be worth it if, it was not worn or still able to hold a tight tolerance. Where were you "dumpster diving" Moffats in cambellville?
    menomana

Russell,

I've bought a few 1" diameter 5'-6' long ground ballscrews with bearings and bearing mounts for about $300 U.S. each on eBay if that helps as a reference. First, I would agree with trubleshtr-if it's obviously a piece of crap you may want to pass-unless you are very honest about its condition when auctioning it off and are willing to take your lumps if it doesn't sell high. If you do salvage it, make absolutely sure you get the bearings and holders-it will be harder to sell without and you'll only get about half as much. And that beast will be heavy, so shipping may present a problem as well ($$$). I guess the question is what you'll have to pay to get it. Good luck!

Lance

thanks for your help guys
    that answers my question
    Russell

and yes trublshtr I was dumpster diving
    yhe machine I came across first happend to be a 6+8 cnc table
    I salvaged 2pc 3/4 cotiuously supported rails with bearings mounted in some nice aluminum blocks
    a gantry extrusion 6+6 by 6ft long heavy walled aluminum and built in rails and an aluminum base with bearings for my z axis
    all the limit switches that mount nicely to the blocks
    the wire harnesses
    all the timing belts and gears
    a lot of retro fitting but I saved a ton of cash
    I got it all for $60.00 C
    If your on a buget man get your swimming trunks on and get diving
    Russell

Cool find....I only mention Cambellville Ont. as there is a large wrecking yard there, and I noticed you where from ont also. My company has sent many a machine there, I always try to grab as much as I can before the tow truck and torches arrive.
    cheers
    menomana

thanks again troubshtr
    Ithink I,ll let this one pass
    a pit to much work to find out its not much good
    Russell