587,744 active members*
2,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tooling for TL2

So far I've only been doing simple cylinder turning, drilling and tapping so the ccmt insert with a sclcr holder worked quite well. At the haas demo day I chatted with the sandvik tooling guys and they recommended the ccmt and dcmt positive inserts.

I spend the last few nights searching online and pouring over the big sandvik and msc catalog. . . and I think I'm still lost. .

Originally I had thought I'll just get the C, D, and V inserts and I'll be covered but upon studying the sandvik catalog I realized that I forgot to account for the insert holder lead angle. The V has a sharper point but the holder has a greater lead angle than for a D insert, so should I just go with a SCLCR and SDJCR holder and forget about the V insert? when do people use the V vs the D inserts?

thanks,

John

I'm glad your still lost. I get lost looking at tooling choices and always thought it was a sign of advancing age.

I simplified my life, initially, by sticking with Iscar "Heligrip" ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - Precision Carbide Metal Working Tools - Metal Cutting Applications and Iscar "Chameleon" ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - Iscar Catalog : SUXCR/L-CM.

I found these two systems covered almost everything I did and when I needed to do something that these were not suitable for then I went looking for a specific holder/insert.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Many guys think the W series inserts are best for almost all general applications. C series inserts seem easier to get chip control with over a wider range of cutting conditions. I hardly ever use a D series unless that is all that is available on the floor. V series come in very handy when cutting relief for threads. Most lathes with automatic tool change will run into a problem with not enough tool stations to keep one of everything loaded. A C series at tool 1 and a V series at tool 2 for OD usually will cover what you need. Same for ID at tool 6 and 8.

um, you mean this inability to grasp concept thing is going to get worst as as I get older. . . . lol . . i am still having trouble comprehending the tool nose compensation. I though, sure 2 axis lathe. . . how hard can it be. . .

The Iscar system can hold both the round and the 80 degree insert. Can the round insert be a substitute for the D or V inserts?

and I guess it's the iscar system and maybe another V insert and forget about the D? I turn mostly aluminum and brass, occasional stainless.

There are a lot of different tooling makers, are they all pretty much the same? or will going with Iscar and Sandvik give better value than going with a less expensive brand like hertel? Or is it one of those dreaded long multiple choice type questions, ie for aluminum go with brand A, brass is brand A and C, stainless steel is B and C. . and etc.

thanks,

John

I have stuck with Iscar and Sandvik more from laziness than anything else. Iscar has some good inserts for aluminum. Search on their website for AS IC20.

I have never bothered memorizing the insert designations I just look at the ones in my tool drawer and grab what looks like it will work.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I have seen that most shops go with whatever their local suppliers can deliver in the most timely manner. If they keep a good supply of Sandvik in stock and takes them two weeks to deliver Iscar, then Sandvik is probably the one you should focus on. Some tool companies make specialized tools that other companies do not make. If you are wanting cheap, you get what you pay for. In a high production or heavy use job shop environment, usually you are going to pay more for something that you get higher mileage from because it ends up being the best value. Iscar is very popular in this area (north Texas). Iscar has majorly improved its insert reliability in the last 10 years or so. When I first started machining, over 16 years ago, Kennemetal was all the rage in oil field machining (where I started in south Texas). Travers Tool out of New York has its own line of tooling and inserts. I have found them to be in the same range of reliability of Iscar for usually 10-20% less. Sometimes 50%. Out of all of the tool suppliers, I have found Travers has been the most helpful (by telephone) of any of them for application help and especially special tooling since they have their own on site machine shop and you can talk to a machinist tech that likely actually build tool holders or grinds tools for those special applications. I actually had them build me some special matching Acme threading dies, right and left hand, about 10 years ago and they worked perfectly and I was totally satisfied with the price. I usually go with Tool-Flo or Iscar for threading inserts.