587,418 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Mini Mill Cleaning Coolant Tank?

Haas Mini Mill Cleaning Coolant Tank?

How do you guys deal with chips in coolant tank on Mini Mill? I am finding that even on small production runs of 80-100 parts ton of chips end up in coolant tank which leads to clogged nozzles and hours of cleanup. It doesn't help that one can't pull out coolant tank for cleaning :-( First time I did this we had over half of the coolant tank full of chips. It took hours to scoop them out and even then we could not get it all out.

Any tips and tricks much appreciated.

Re: Haas Mini Mill Cleaning Coolant Tank?

Not a whole lot can be done. HAAS really screwed the pooch on that design. only advice i may have is when you do clean it out use a shop vac once you get out most of the coolant instead of panning for gold.

Yeah, unfortunately lot of chips end up in there even on small run of 100 parts we make and draining coolant and filtering it is just not going to happen, not productive or sustainable. Fastest so far is to scoop as much as one can using pasta scoop strainer. It sucks.

Isn’t there a filter ( optional ) that strains the coolant apparently there is for the TM1P we have.

Quote Originally Posted by tom o View Post
    Isn’t there a filter ( optional ) that strains the coolant apparently there is for the TM1P we have.
    I have sent that question to my Haas dealer, haven't heard back from them yet.

We put a fiberglass screen (course window screen) over the return end of the tank (maybe 2 ft square), backed it up with a 1/2 inch square hole metal screen for support. That keeps the big stuff out. Then on the discharge side we added a garden hose water filter https://www.amazon.com/Powerfit-AP31...or+garden+hose

Completely ended any plugging problems. You have to pull the screen out sometimes and dump it out but that only takes a couple of minutes.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    We put a fiberglass screen (course window screen) over the return end of the tank (maybe 2 ft square), backed it up with a 1/2 inch square hole metal screen for support. That keeps the big stuff out. Then on the discharge side we added a garden hose water filter https://www.amazon.com/Powerfit-AP31...or+garden+hose

Completely ended any plugging problems. You have to pull the screen out sometimes and dump it out but that only takes a couple of minutes.
    Hi Jim, where exactly did you place the fiberglass screen? Inside the mill at the bottom? Do you have auger?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    Hi Jim, where exactly did you place the fiberglass screen? Inside the mill at the bottom? Do you have auger?

Yes, we have an auger. The screen is just below the auger outlet at the edge of the machine, where the coolant returns to the tank. The screen just lays over the top of the tank. I could post some pictures if needed.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Yes please photos would be perfect. Have to address this.

Here Ya go...

An overview

A little closer

A double (triple?) layer of fiberglass screen

Supporting 1/2 inch opening screen, This stuff came out of my scrap pile, some kind of fencing with a heavy wire mesh (4 inch squares?) under.

And a side view

And the discharge filter
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Ah yes, that's not going to work for Mini Mill, I wish it had configuration like that. :-(