587,324 active members*
3,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > One CNC XR5 First Impression...

One CNC XR5 First Impression...

Short version-
    Go - Get - It!!!

Long version-
    I had XR2 but sold it. It just took me too long to get any CAD done with it. It seemed like I was constantly clicking through boxes to get a simple line drawn. Irritating! Maybe I was just doing something wrong but I think not since I have seen that complaint from other users. I bought RhinoCam since I was familiar with Rhino's style of CAD, it was fast, and I liked that style.

I recently went back to OneCnc when I saw XR4 because of the new high speed machining abilities and I just forced myself to try to get used to their CAD style. I managed to stick with it because of the HS toolpaths are awesome! But.. the CAD process was still slow going.

I just installed my upgrade to XR5 and they have completely re-designed their CAD process and eliminated almost all of those annoying clicks. It makes their CAD soooo user friendly now- very much like the Rhino style drawing but with the accuracy of OneCnc. Combine that with a great OneCnc CAM system and I think XR5 is going to be a huge hit.

So, from one random anonymous guy on a message board to another - I highly recommend it. I think you can do a web demo with it or something to try it out and see if it is worth upgrading.

Here is a link to a lot of the XR5 demonstration videos.

It has made a major jump from XR4.

Won't say more, videos tell a much better story.

New OneCNC XR5 Features!

Looking to upgrade as well, but not too sure since I do use other CAD to draw... But having it all in one place would be nice... the new features are excellent...

Louie, You really need to give XR5's CAD a try. I was drawing in another program (Rhino) and then importing. It worked fine until you need to make a change and then you have to do all of the NC all over again. It is soooo nice to make a change right there on the same screen.

Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    Short version-
    Go - Get - It!!!

Long version-
    I had XR2 but sold it. It just took me too long to get any CAD done with it. It seemed like I was constantly clicking through boxes to get a simple line drawn. Irritating! Maybe I was just doing something wrong but I think not since I have seen that complaint from other users. I bought RhinoCam since I was familiar with Rhino's style of CAD, it was fast, and I liked that style.

I recently went back to OneCnc when I saw XR4 because of the new high speed machining abilities and I just forced myself to try to get used to their CAD style. I managed to stick with it because of the HS toolpaths are awesome! But.. the CAD process was still slow going.

I just installed my upgrade to XR5 and they have completely re-designed their CAD process and eliminated almost all of those annoying clicks. It makes their CAD soooo user friendly now- very much like the Rhino style drawing but with the accuracy of OneCnc. Combine that with a great OneCnc CAM system and I think XR5 is going to be a huge hit.

So, from one random anonymous guy on a message board to another - I highly recommend it. I think you can do a web demo with it or something to try it out and see if it is worth upgrading.
    I might do the demo.. but I might have to hold off upgrading for a bit, as i'm going to probably owe Uncle Sam something this year...