587,345 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Link to photos of Controller I am building...

Hi all,

I know how much everyone loves photos so I put together a webpage detailing the CNC Controller I am building - Mach3 based. It is a big webpage so please be patient with the download.

http://www.woodworkingathome.com/CNC...Controller.htm

Hope you enjoy and comments welcome!

Chris

Chris,
    I could say nice work, or looks great, maybe even say I'm impressed but I think this word sums it up nicely, Spectacular !

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    Chris,
    I could say nice work, or looks great, maybe even say I'm impressed but I think this word sums it up nicely, Spectacular !

Ken

Ken,

Thank you VERY MUCH for the compliment. Like I said in the description there, it has been a hoot to do and one heck of a great learning experience!

Again, thank you!

Chris

Wow. You put a lot of thought and effort into that. Fantastic work Ken. What lathe will it be powering?
    Regards,
    Mark

Fantastic work Ken

Good discription, wrong person

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP
    Wow. You put a lot of thought and effort into that. Fantastic work Ken. What lathe will it be powering?
    If you promise not to laugh I will tell you ......

A chinese made 9 x 20 lathe - the usual cheapo variety you can pick up from the discount tool places. This controller certainly cost more money to make than the lathe costs to purchase :-)

However, I know the lathe is mechanically not too bad. You are probably familiar with the Emco Maier machines from your part of the world. I believe they originally designed the machine and the Chinese copied it and started dumping them on the market. Most of the mechanicals are poorly finished and made, however, once i convert it to CNC, most of the mechanicals will no longer be needed :-) Realistically, I am only keeping:

Headstock and spindle - replacing bearings
    Bed - not too bad, a tiny twist in it but better than some I have heard about
    Tailstock - that's pretty good, just needs a bit of "Fixing up"
    Saddle - seems to be good
    Cross slide - probably modified, but hope to keep it.

All the rest of the components pretty much are not needed so I will sell them on Ebay to help fund the cost of the control :-)

Chris

Super job, professional looking. I'm impressed, great work Chris!!
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Thanks Phil!

Much appreciated.

Chris

I can only repeat the words of others in this thread. Fantastic
    It sort of reminds me of a ghetto blaster.
    Do you need to wear lots of Gold chains and an afro hair style to drive it ?

Here is a link to a really nice stand an austrian guy has made for his 9X conversion (it has been like this for a while)

http://home.pages.at/pcspeed/cncdreh...ehmaschine.htm

I hope the tail stock is better than the crappy one on my 7X lathe.
    Regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    I can only repeat the words of others in this thread. Fantastic
    It sort of reminds me of a ghetto blaster.
    Do you need to wear lots of Gold chains and an afro hair style to drive it ?
    Well, I am not fond of jewelry in the shop, nor is my hair curly so I am sort of screwed there :-)

I also wish the speakers in it and the sound card in the computer were as good as big ghetto blasters! It would make working in the shop even more fun - crank up the Pink Floyd and rock out!

Chris

Here is a link to a really nice stand an austrian guy has made for his 9X conversion (it has been like this for a while)

http://home.pages.at/pcspeed/cncdreh...ehmaschine.htm

I hope the tail stock is better than the crappy one on my 7X lathe.

That is a nice looking stand and conversion in progress - thanks for the link. I always love seeing other people's conversions (and shops), you can always pick up a neat idea!

The tail stock isn't the best, but isn't the worst I have seen either. I do plan on fixing it up and modifying it a bit to suit my needs - but that is something that is a bit down the road yet. You will also appreciate this part. I had to take it apart for some reason - don't recall why. However, between the upper and lower halves I found the "shims" used to get the tailstock on center. A torn off piece of paper what appears to be from and "inspection" report :-) Perhaps that inspect report was the "first findings" report!

Chris

very nice!

Show off!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Now that is what I call QA, finding the part out of tolerance and then ripping up the inspection report for shims. Classic.

Do you have any photos of you conversion yet?
    Regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    very nice!

Show off!

:-)

Thanks Michael!

Now that is what I call QA, finding the part out of tolerance and then ripping up the inspection report for shims. Classic.

Do you have any photos of you conversion yet?
    Yes, I agree, that is an interesting spin on quality!

No, I have not started on the mechanicals yet. I am still gathering parts - I believe I am just down to the Z axis ball screw and then I will have everything to start the retrofit.

I did construct a two speed transmission for the machine a few months back. Rather than gears I did it with timing belts and pulleys. I still have a few more things to do on it but hope to have that done pretty soon seeing as I have the electronics in pretty good order now.

I will post some images of all that stuff when I get somewhere with it. I am guesing it would be around late Winter or early spring .

Chris

Freak!!!!

Nathan

That controller looks AMAZING! So when will you start selling them
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fusion
    That controller looks AMAZING! So when will you start selling them

Thanks! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I don't want to turn fun into work - cause then it aint fun anymore!

Chris

you could post the design templates and such though! that is still classified as fun!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"