587,386 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MiniMill 2 with an HRT160

We just got a new MiniMill 2 and an HRT160 turntable. I plan on mounting the HRT on the right side of the table with the platter facing the front and a vice on the left side. A little crunched for space but doable. My employer is concerned about the weight (90#) of the HRT on being on the end of the table. Any issues that I should worry about.

None that I can think of. We run our HA5CB on the right end of our Mini Mill virtually all the time. Once in a while we will put it in our VF2SS for some 3D profiling since the big machine has "High Speed Machining" turned on and the Mini doesn't. Our Mini is 6 years old, and at last count about 6 months ago, had over 800,000 tool changes. We don't see any ill effects. Granted, it's only 48#, not 90.

Just curious, why with the platter facing forward? Most people face the platter to the left. Mounting it facing forward, I would be worried about rapiding the head down too low and crashing into the top of the indexer. With it facing left, while you still have to be careful, (especially with programmable coolant nozzle or auto air nozzle), there is far less pucker factor involved.

Have fun with the new toy! It's always like Christmas when a new machine comes in the door! Lots of presents to unwrap!

Mike

My thoughts for right now is platter facing forward for ease of loading parts. That may change after we have it fixtured up and see how everything fits. We also have an HA5CB on another Mini, mounted on the right side, no problems. The weight is almost double though. I assured my boss that it would be fine. I don't think he was convinced.

Show him the data sheet. Max weight on table 500 lbs.

http://haasportal.net/Portals/57ad71...2series_US.pdf

The weight shouldn't be any problem as long as it does not exceed the max table weight. If he is still worried about longevity, just park the X-Axis so that the weight is centered over the Y when the machine is turned off.

Also, I agree that you will be better served having the platter face to the left side and not the front, but to each their own.

Enjoy the new machines.

Haas Factory Support

Any max table weight specifications are for an evenly distributed load. Any uneven weight should be centered over the linear guide mounts. In this case, just don't place it on the very edge and you should be ok, especially if you have weight on the left side.

I also recommend orientating the rotary to the left. There are no side windows, so you will find it very difficult to visually avoid a collision.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Have fun with the new toy! It's always like Christmas when a new machine comes in the door! Lots of presents to unwrap!

Yep, kinda like getting a new wheel borrow and shinny new shovel for christmas
    LOL.
    After playing with the location of the HRT, you guys were right, facing left is the best way to go. Thanks for the input.
    VF2, VF5, ST10, MINIMILL, MINIMILL2,