587,807 active members*
3,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Operator crashed probe body

Well, it finally happened. We crashed a Renishaw probe body. He was in a hurry (always happens that way) and mistyped when probing a boss. Instead of going down Z-.3 he typed Z-3.
    I didn't see the part afterwards but the probe was surprisingly only slightly mangled. It doesn't work, of course, but the only damage to the exterior is the top cap is pushed down about .03 on one side.
    We're contacting renishaw to see if this is a repair or exchange candidate.
    Now the reason for my post: can we add a macro statement to prevent the probe from moving down further than the probe tip is long? has anybody ever done this?

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Well, it finally happened. We crashed a Renishaw probe body. He was in a hurry (always happens that way) and mistyped when probing a boss. Instead of going down Z-.3 he typed Z-3.
    I didn't see the part afterwards but the probe was surprisingly only slightly mangled. It doesn't work, of course, but the only damage to the exterior is the top cap is pushed down about .03 on one side.
    We're contacting renishaw to see if this is a repair or exchange candidate.
    Now the reason for my post: can we add a macro statement to prevent the probe from moving down further than the probe tip is long? has anybody ever done this?
    If you are doing manual programming you should be using protected position moves (G65 P9810). This will create an alarm anytime the probe is triggered while in this mode. Read up about it in the manual, it will save your probe next time for situations just like you described.

If using the Haas cycles, it should have the protected position moves in already.

BTW, I was told by Renishaw that as long as the item can be identified, it qualifies for exchange, regardless of the damage to it.

I think he's talking about a situation where there isn't anything to run into during 9810 moves. Picture a 5" tall boss with a 2" long stylus running a 9814.

Extanker, I don't think there's any good way to do what you're talking about. It might be cool to be able to set a max value for those situations, but then would be a pain in the ass if you ever run a stylus longer than you have now.

This seems to be one of those crashes that just happens. No real fault of the operators, but should damn sure be a one-time thing!

I think the OP was saying the body came in contact with a boss and the probe tip did not contact anything to make a skip signal to stop movement.

Yes, you can modify the macro(s) for probing to do a check on the movement input. If you need assistance with this, identify the macro(s) you wish to modify and make back up copies. Then post back here and someone will probably volunteer to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    I think he's talking about a situation where there isn't anything to run into during 9810 moves. Picture a 5" tall boss with a 2" long stylus running a 9814.

Extanker, I don't think there's any good way to do what you're talking about. It might be cool to be able to set a max value for those situations, but then would be a pain in the ass if you ever run a stylus longer than you have now.

This seems to be one of those crashes that just happens. No real fault of the operators, but should damn sure be a one-time thing!
    Yep! Wasn't thinking along those lines, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, that's right guys. No probe tip contact to provide skip signal. He was using VQC and just typed the wrong Z travel. He's a good guy who just screwed up. He feels pretty bad about it (as he should and I still do about my past screw ups).
    I'm thinking about G65 P9023 probe routines. Maybe

IF[z variable LT -2.]GOTO3000
    #3000=1(Z TRAVEL EXCEEDS PROBE LENGTH)

or something to that effect

I'll copy the probe routine as suggested and play with it...very carefully!

If you use a standard length probe body, but various stylii, you could put in a line to work out the stylus length based on the overall probe tool length. Minus .5 from the stylus length for extra safety margin.

Your safety line would then be to check if initial Z position minus measure Z position is less than your stylus length.

Of course, this assumes that the probe is always going to be positioned within .5 of the surface of the workpiece before measurement commences.

DP

ps you could change everything to metric...3mm is not much deeper than .3mm

Not much time this morning. Thanks guys for your responses. Gave me courage to try to play with the probe cycle. Just a little concerned about where to put the IF statement. Seems like it jumps around quite a bit depending on the cycle. But I'll just start trying things on a copy.

BTW, we have two Haas machines with probes. They are both the same style of probes with the same probe styli (did I spell that right?).
    Had the one machine for 4 years and never changed the probe tip (notice how I avoided the word I'm not sure how to spell?). Not likely to change them in the future. So...one length needed.

Probe Crash

Hi extanker59,

I had the same thing happen some years back doing a Y Web on a small piece of round stock that protruded slightly from the left side of the vise.

After the $1100-$1200 experience I talked to Rich Foley at Renishaw 1-847-280-9953 and he helped me slow down the probing IPM Feeds on my unprotected probing macros to half the feed rate so this ole man could possibly get to the Feed Hold button quicker. I now take a second look at the input screen and always have my finger on the feed hold button during those type of probing macro operations.

And Yes, I found out there is a big difference between .5 and 5. Still love the Renishaw Probe as it makes setup a breeze.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Not much time this morning. Thanks guys for your responses. Gave me courage to try to play with the probe cycle. Just a little concerned about where to put the IF statement. Seems like it jumps around quite a bit depending on the cycle. But I'll just start trying things on a copy.

BTW, we have two Haas machines with probes. They are both the same style of probes with the same probe styli (did I spell that right?).
    Had the one machine for 4 years and never changed the probe tip (notice how I avoided the word I'm not sure how to spell?). Not likely to change them in the future. So...one length needed.
    John makes a good point about consulting with Renishaw. Once you get the test code made, you can then call Renishaw and ask them the best place to incorporate it.

It may be worth the phone call and hours of trial and error saved.

Good luck!

If its anything like the inspection plus layout, all the cycles call the settings macro to ensure correct values are preloaded. I edited this macro, o9724 i think, to check the probe was actually in the spindle, initiate the probe and also to activate the h offset for the probe.

DP

Just some FYI and clarification for all on this thread. All Haas VMC and HMC with WIPS have Renishaw Inspection Plus macros running in the background (O9000 series subs). The VQC interface accesses a sub that calls the Renishaw I+ cycles. The setting macro is called 9724 and works like an initialization file. You can tweak the 9724 to improve speed, reduce risk, reduce cycletime of probing and even allow you to probe very tiny features that you would not think possible. While the VQC interface allows you to perform some probing functions, the user has complete access to the full suite of Inspection Plus cycles which are already installed on the machine. Most Haas users do not know this. I have posted the Renishaw I+ user guide for Haas.

All Haas with WIPS also have extended user variables #500-#699 and #800-#999. This is VERY useful. Haas also does a great job of allowing user read/write access to most system variables and parameters. If you know a bit about Macro B, you can write just about anything you like. A good place to start for this is the Haas Macros section of the manual. Very well written and easy to follow. If you really want to get and Idea of

The Renishaw guys like Rich Foley, Paul Liston and Jim Hauser are awesome, but there is also an RDI network (13 total) of companies that go far beyond tech support. You all buy apps for you Droid and Iphone….there are a number of apps for your CAM system, Excel and even the Haas control that enhance probing capability a great deal.

The Renishaw repair program is called RBE (repair by exchange). You get a new probe to replace your damaged one, regardless of age or type of damage. Yep, it’s a home run. Cost to RBE the OMP40 is $985.00. You can do this through some HFO’s, but normally through an RDI or Renishaw direct…cost is the same no matter who you go through. Not all HFO’s service or train on the Renishaw hardware or software (no disrespect intended….it is what it is).

Ultimately the WIPS option is the best deal you’ll get on probing for your machine tool but, sadly, most of the HFO’s (again no disrespect) don’t spend much time with their customers teaching what they can do with it. Hope this adds a bit more to an already informative thread.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Probe Guy View Post
    Just some FYI and clarification for all on this thread. All Haas VMC and HMC with WIPS have Renishaw Inspection Plus macros running in the background (O9000 series subs). The VQC interface accesses a sub that calls the Renishaw I+ cycles. The setting macro is called 9724 and works like an initialization file. You can tweak the 9724 to improve speed, reduce risk, reduce cycletime of probing and even allow you to probe very tiny features that you would not think possible. While the VQC interface allows you to perform some probing functions, the user has complete access to the full suite of Inspection Plus cycles which are already installed on the machine. Most Haas users do not know this. I have posted the Renishaw I+ user guide for Haas.

All Haas with WIPS also have extended user variables #500-#699 and #800-#999. This is VERY useful. Haas also does a great job of allowing user read/write access to most system variables and parameters. If you know a bit about Macro B, you can write just about anything you like. A good place to start for this is the Haas Macros section of the manual. Very well written and easy to follow. If you really want to get and Idea of

The Renishaw guys like Rich Foley, Paul Liston and Jim Hauser are awesome, but there is also an RDI network (13 total) of companies that go far beyond tech support. You all buy apps for you Droid and Iphone….there are a number of apps for your CAM system, Excel and even the Haas control that enhance probing capability a great deal.

The Renishaw repair program is called RBE (repair by exchange). You get a new probe to replace your damaged one, regardless of age or type of damage. Yep, it’s a home run. Cost to RBE the OMP40 is $985.00. You can do this through some HFO’s, but normally through an RDI or Renishaw direct…cost is the same no matter who you go through. Not all HFO’s service or train on the Renishaw hardware or software (no disrespect intended….it is what it is).

Ultimately the WIPS option is the best deal you’ll get on probing for your machine tool but, sadly, most of the HFO’s (again no disrespect) don’t spend much time with their customers teaching what they can do with it. Hope this adds a bit more to an already informative thread.
    Try and explain why we should get the probe on the Haas machine to a guy that thinks the longhand G code probe programming on the OKKs is is the greatest thing ever. Night and day difference and right over his head.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

1) If he likes getting a great deal, he's getting about 19k in hardware and software for 6k installed if it WIPS from Haas direct.

2) If he likes G code, then he'll love VQC!

3) If he likes making money; using a probe and tool setter with all their capabitly, is like having a 24/7 operator monitoring the process and it doen't take a rocket scientist and a ton of time to set it up.

Then again, you can lead a horse to water.....