587,564 active members*
3,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Projecting curves to a cylinder

Projecting curves to a cylinder

Is it possible for me to project a curve ie; some text , onto a surface of a cylinder ? I'd like the text to wrap around the surface . Any help is always appreciated.

I could explain it but in this circumstance the help menu is clear and easy to understand.Click Help and then Project curves to surface.If you still have questions post back and we will give you a hand.

will you be cutting in 3 axis or with a 4th?
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    Is it possible for me to project a curve ie; some text , onto a surface of a cylinder ? I'd like the text to wrap around the surface . Any help is always appreciated.
    If I remember well v.23 doesn't permit you to project 3d toolpath (like vcarve)
    onto a cylinder. nor does it produce a 3d toolpath code on such projections.

aldepoalo might know though.
    gee that's a tongue twister

It does.

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    will you be cutting in 3 axis or with a 4th?
    Thanks for the replies , I have v25 and I'd like to cut around the 4 rth axis

If you are going to use the 4th axis you will not need to project anything. Using the 4 axis wrap you can lay the work out flat and wrap it to the 4th axis.

B
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Thanks for the response Al , what if the work piece is contoured ?

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    It does.
    sorry BurrMan,
    was thinking of this old tread...

03- 27-2011, 01:56 AM
    BurrMan Join Date: Dec 2008

Yes Mike, although with 2d stuff, I wouldnt rotate the geo.. In this file you will see an added UCS. If you make it active and add more operations,tey will be cut on the 180 degree index... But this geometry is also sitting at Z 0, so a determination f the actual thickness wanted could be made and then change the features parameters to cut at the proper level for both sides. This can be done by translating the geometry up and also maing a copy to translate down, and toolpathing the 2, or justcrunching the numbers at the feature level and keeping only the one set...

If we need to use 3d toolpaths to do surface work, then the strategy needs to change to rotating the part around....Making use of boundries to constrain the toolpath... I have found that indxing organic shapes that intrude into the other index, doesnt work.. This would be me waiting for a true 4th axis.

original thread... 03-18-2011, 01:12 AM
    greggm Join Date: Dec 2010

how to draw & toolpath 4th axis "furniture legs"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do i go about drawing a "furniture leg" with curves and coves etc or and then turn it into a rotary (A) tool path.

I have purchased 3 1/2" square cedar post to practice on so i am thinking a roughing pass with a .5" 2 flute straight router bit and then go back with a ball end mill to do the finish work

I also want to learn to do tapering and add wrapped v carve/3d carvings

a axis is along the "Y" travel ((G59 offset #6))
    bob cad v23 & bob art pro x
    mach 3 with 4 position tool changer

If someone could send me a sample file that will open in V23 that i can learn from or a you tube that would be most helpful.

Hi Claude,
    That is an old thread where someone was speaking about toolpathing organic 3d models with 3d toolpaths by doing "indexing" as opposed to the wrapping that is supplied in BobCad. I was speaking to not being able to achieve good results with that, like a human face, because BobCads toolpaths dont account for undercutting and inevitably cut off part that wasnt intended...

V23 "DOES" however, project curves to surfaces, which can be 3d engraved. Those surfaces can also be broken with the projected curves, then manipulated further, like bossing or whatever, then 3d toolpathed..

If you are talking about designing a 3d object, that is somwhat organic all over it, then the thread you are refering to will start to apply.

The question didnt seem that complex to start with, though.

I had also done a video to show how to use the 4th axis wrapping to do a furniture leg. That is here:

http://youtu.be/KCbsi5nmW8Y

But the "v-Carve" toolpath, is a 2d toolpath operation, that uses tooling and depth to create a 3d relief effect... It wont toolpath "3d objects."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hi Claude,
    That is an old thread where someone was speaking about toolpathing organic 3d models with 3d toolpaths by doing "indexing" as opposed to the wrapping that is supplied in BobCad. I was speaking to not being able to achieve good results with that, like a human face, because BobCads toolpaths dont account for undercutting and inevitably cut off part that wasnt intended...

V23 "DOES" however, project curves to surfaces, which can be 3d engraved. Those surfaces can also be broken with the projected curves, then manipulated further, like bossing or whatever, then 3d toolpathed..

If you are talking about designing a 3d object, that is somwhat organic all over it, then the thread you are refering to will start to apply.

The question didnt seem that complex to start with, though.

I had also done a video to show how to use the 4th axis wrapping to do a furniture leg. That is here:

4th_furniture_redo - YouTube

But the "v-Carve" toolpath, is a 2d toolpath operation, that uses tooling and depth to create a 3d relief effect... It wont toolpath "3d objects."

some more thought on the subject here
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...sed_model.html

you're right, maybe magnum500sw did'nt want to go that deep...

but its always good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    some more thought on the subject here
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...sed_model.html

you're right, maybe magnum500sw did'nt want to go that deep...

but its always good to know
    This is what I was looking for , my, original question was for text but I like the way the replies have progressed , because eventually........

I have done text on a cylinder by using the project surface in version 24. The thing was that my text was small enough and the cylinder large enough that I didn't have to rotate the part, I just did a 3D tool path moving X, Y , & Z with a center drill tip. You get a little deeper V the father you go off center of the cylinder but it came out good for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Text-Curve.jpg  

Claude and burrman that is perfect . Thanks for the link .

Your welcome Magnum...

So Claude, did I confuse you before.. The basic jist of what you were asking is "V-Carve" And my answer that V-carve is a toolpath that works off of 2d geometry. Not 3d... Although, the 3d toolpaths will do 3d geometry, and 3d engrave will engrave 3d wireframe.

Is there a file I can show you? That thread was a bit old, so I dont remember exactly what we were discussing. I think though that your furniture legs were kindof "Organic" in nature, so i led you towards BobArt as an easier way.

Do you have geometry to post here, or a picture of what you are trying to do?