587,210 active members*
2,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Aluminum and Stainless with high-def

Hey guys, anybody willing to share some tips on cutting aluminum and stainless with a high-def plasma? I read through the previous posts and jotted down some notes but there isn't much talking about cutting with high-def cutters on much over 1/4".

I'm running an Alltra table with a Hypertherm HPR 400 XD cutter with THC and a Burny LCD 10 controller at work. The sales team came and told me the other day that they are sending about 80 parts 3/8" thick to be cut out of aluminum. The maintenance engineer in charge of ordering my consumables told me that I'll be running an air/air mixture on the plate with an aluminum set of 130 amp consumables. I intend to follow the book to a T on the settings because I know Hypertherm has spent alot of time and money tuning these settings in so I've got faith in that. What I don't have faith in is myself because I've never cut aluminum before and don't have much room left on the plate they ordered for test cuts. Any tips and tricks or advice are more than welcome.

The sales team also told me that they are bidding on a job that involves a lot of 2" think stainless. The way it sounds most people seem to say they are having bad kerf beveling issues when they are trying to cut. I do have a beveling head on this table, would it be worth it to measure the bevel and program a bevel to counter-act the kerf's bevel? Again, any tips, tricks, or advice is more than welcome.

Thanks folks!
    -David

The HPR400xd will poduce the best cut quality when used exactly at the book cutting specifications. The High Definition plasma from Hypertherm has been engineered so that it does not require tweaking. You have a great machine. Feel free to contact me directly when you start cutting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Hauffy View Post
    Hey guys, anybody willing to share some tips on cutting aluminum and stainless with a high-def plasma? I read through the previous posts and jotted down some notes but there isn't much talking about cutting with high-def cutters on much over 1/4".

I'm running an Alltra table with a Hypertherm HPR 400 XD cutter with THC and a Burny LCD 10 controller at work. The sales team came and told me the other day that they are sending about 80 parts 3/8" thick to be cut out of aluminum. The maintenance engineer in charge of ordering my consumables told me that I'll be running an air/air mixture on the plate with an aluminum set of 130 amp consumables. I intend to follow the book to a T on the settings because I know Hypertherm has spent alot of time and money tuning these settings in so I've got faith in that. What I don't have faith in is myself because I've never cut aluminum before and don't have much room left on the plate they ordered for test cuts. Any tips and tricks or advice are more than welcome.

The sales team also told me that they are bidding on a job that involves a lot of 2" think stainless. The way it sounds most people seem to say they are having bad kerf beveling issues when they are trying to cut. I do have a beveling head on this table, would it be worth it to measure the bevel and program a bevel to counter-act the kerf's bevel? Again, any tips, tricks, or advice is more than welcome.

Thanks folks!
    -David

mrgraphic Guest
    I am not a fan of cutting aluminum witj a air/air mixture.
    You HPR 400 XD should have a mixing consol and plenty of gases available for this type of work.
    Air is too smokey and hot for a good cut quality. You want the gases available to you and your choicec are
    H35/N2 or H35-N2/N2 or Air//N2 may cost morw but you would be haPPY with the cut quality.
    Make sure you have the propre consumables for the gas types, speeds and amperages available as to these combinations
    are 5 diffrent changeouts on the head consumavle parts,