587,997 active members*
1,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Anyone got a spare hacksaw ?

Smile Anyone got a spare hacksaw ?

Hello all,

Not content with having the daftest thread on here :-

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15771

I'm now feeling challenged by 10Bulls and his Christmas tale.

So.....Here's the next crazy installment.

Actually I am actually Seriously considering this 'project'

In summary I'm driving two 17" LCD panels with a Dual output DVI Nvidia Graphics card. (I cannot recommend a dual display setup high enough. They make programs like Video editing, Graphics work and Programming extremely slick)

So during the the development of my MKII CNC Z-Axis design I found myself being annoyed at the 90mm black bar that the monitor case creates when running side by side.) The graphics program I use allows the two displays to split the working environment.)

Santa brought my kids computers this year and the monitor's only have about 8mm bezels. Pushing these two displays together as an experiment created a 16mm band which was far less obstructive compared to my ancient 45mm bezels resulting in the 90mm band.

I'm not cruel enough to steal there Christmas Prezzie's but I am looking at ways to create a 'seamless' dual 17" display.

1st idea is to butcher the displays and chop the inner bezels down. (I'll make sure to check whats behind first !)

Second idea is to literally remove the panels from the plastic housing and mount them butted up side by side behind an MDF housing. I can always spray this black.
    I'll store the original housings for a rainy day....

So have I lost my marbles totally or do you think there is scope for such a project ?

Attached image showing current setup... with 90mm black bezel bands.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails monitors_1.JPG  

He's lost the plot !

A 'simulated' graphic of what I'm aiming to achieve. (With better screen alignment !)

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails monitors_2.JPG  

Let me see if I understand you correctly: two 17" displays side by side tiled together. This gives you an effective picture area about 26 inches and 11 inches high. I don't have a 17" screen to measure so these are estimates.

A dead simple way to get this viewing area absolutely seamless without hacking or bezel removal is to go get something like a 36" display and mask the top and bottom of the viewing area with black tape so you can only see a region 26 x 11 inches.

I saw this 30" Cinema HD in the staore yesterday. That's what you really want.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...=AppleDisplays

But I guess if your budget won't allow it, what you plan on doing should work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think someone has had waayyy too much eggnog.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I have a 21" and 17" setup on one computer and you can get them pretty close together with the grafics card I have
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

actually in my opinion, a 15 inch tall 3 inch wide photo of Lindsy Lohan or equivalent installed strategically between the two monitors would make that 90mm black bar about 90% less obtrusive

What black bar in the middle??

I have a 21" and 17" setup on one computer and you can get them pretty close together with the grafics card I have
    How does that work then? Surely the GFX card can't reduce the screens bezel?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails monitors_3.JPG  

exactly, what black bar? I wish I had enough energy to have demonstrated my idea graphically, but Im just too dang lazy. Also I think kenlambert was talking about the new graphics card made by Dremel that Ive been reading about.

ED

I mustof not read properly I guess!!!
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

If you are serious, there use to be an arcade game called DARIUS (Taito) that used two monitors and a mirror. One was positioned normally with an angled mirror slightly over laping it and the second pointing upwards towards the mirror. When veiwed through the tinted front glass inside the darker cabinet the image was nearly seamless. Of course the monitor in the mirror was mirror image and the alignment was a little touchy (there is a slight overlap needed in the images). It use to be a real pain using monitors with curved fronts, but should be easier with flat panels. There was also a game called R-TYPE (I-Rem) that used 3 monitors with 2 mirrors! Theese games were made around 1990, I think I am feeling my age!

Good luck, there may be a market! (send me one if you get rich!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DOUBLE.jpg  

Sorry, DARIUS was 1986 also came in a 3 screens version-
    http://www.2atoms.com/game/arcade/arcade01.htm
    the 3 screen cabinet-
    http://www.arcade-history.com/histor...=detail&id=585

R-Type and Darius, there's a blast from the past. Those are two of my favourite arcade games, sidearms was also a good'un.

Back to the mointor idea. I can't think of any reason why trimming one edge off would not work. Remove the panel from the casing, then run the front and back cases over the table saw to cut them down, then cut through the remainder of the side bezel of the front case. Sounds like fun. :withstupi

Are you really going to try this? The thought of my TFT meeting a saw fills me with horror. Once you've started to cut, there's no going back...

Red face

Well even though the Lindsy Lohan picture almost camouflaged that black bar I still have the urge for perfection....

As much as I would love a 30" display I can hear the ear bashing now that the wife would force on me.

I have hunted high an low in search of the Dremel Graphics card but so far my search is in vain. (Does someone have a link ?)

My trip back in time reading all about the arcade game's of the past was quite entertaining. Thanks for that info Iwill. But It all sounds a bit too much of a hassle.

So..... With a few glasses of eggnog left I fire the tablesaw up and I'm Readdyyy for action !

First thing to go was the monitor base which was simply screwed on. After it's removal It shows the mounting points for a wall mount that I may have plans for one day.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0703.JPG  

With the base removed the back panel was unclipped and shock horror.

I can instantly see a good 20mm of fresh air inside the bezel.... But not the 40mm that I hoped....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0706.JPG   DSCN0705.JPG  

Three screws hold the TFT in place. Removing these displayed the full workings....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0707.JPG  

But with a deep sigh I am confronted by another 20mm of wasted space around the TFT panel. I guess the monitor is dated 2002 so it's getting on a bit......

At this point reality kicks in and I'm confronted with a minimum black band of 40mm....

Not even a Lindsy Lohan pic would squeeze in there....

So here the tale ends. The monitor is now back together and the black band is back to haunt.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0708.JPG