587,827 active members*
3,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Home Machine Shop Band Saw

Hi, I just got my Sherline up and running and have made a few parts. I'm looking to get a small band saw for cutting stock to size, ideally I'd like one that fits under my bench and I can just bring it out when I need it. I've looked at the 9" Craftsman, Skil type band saws but they seem to be too flimsy for metal and they only have one speed (abt 2400 fpm), much too fast for cutting steel. Can anyone here with a small home shop point me in the right direction? Thanks a ton.

A portable saw is what you need. This is my saw :

And this is the site where I bought it: Band Saw Links
    This saw is just awesome! And this is a variable speed saw.

Interesting, I just purchased a band saw earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by captianpattson View Post
    Hi, I just got my Sherline up and running and have made a few parts. I'm looking to get a small band saw for cutting stock to size, ideally I'd like one that fits under my bench and I can just bring it out when I need it.
    For metal working I went with: G0622 4" x 6" Metal-Cutting Bandsaw, which can be found here: G0622 4" x 6" Metal-Cutting Bandsaw. It isn't a bad saw at all but is obviously low end. IT is fairly easy to move around, at times too easy. It has the capacity I need now and enough that I hope I don't outgrow it too fast.
    I've looked at the 9" Craftsman, Skil type band saws but they seem to be too flimsy for metal and they only have one speed (abt 2400 fpm), much too fast for cutting steel.
    Yes totally useless as sold, if we are talking the same models they are for wood working.. That doesn't mean you can't modify them to better suit your needs. If you want to go vertical saw though at one time you could buy machines with gear boxes that allowed for high speed wood cutting and a far slower metal cutting speed. I didn't go vertical though as horizontal cut off saws generally work better unattended. Plus I already have a wood working saw.
    Can anyone here with a small home shop point me in the right direction? Thanks a ton.
    Here are a few thoughts:
    1. Go with the more than 1 billion variants of the 4x6 band saw. Yeah it is expensive, or cheap depending upon your perspective, but should last a life time in the home shop. I've even been using mine for remodeling work to cut pipe and other stuff.

There is a lot of online support for these saws. For the most part everyone sells the same general design so there is a very large user community.
    2. look for a convertable vertical band saw. That is one that can do both low speed metal cutting speeds and one that can do higher speeds for woods and plastics. You loose the ability to do unattended cuts but gain the ability to do interesting things in sheet goods and woods. I'm a fan of band saws anyways as I bought a vertical band saw for wood working before even getting a table saw, they are very handy machines that are quick to set up.
    3. Consider the various handheld band saws that contractors make use of. These are often employeed to cut pipe and other stock hand held. In your case the nice thing is that they are hand held tools that make for easy storage and use anywhere. Examples are here: Milwaukee Tools | Power Saws| Band Saws - Corded, plus battery operated band saws (one being very cute) here:Milwaukee Tools | Cordless Saws | Band Saws. Battery powered ones might allow you to buy large stock at dealers or scrap yards to turn into vehicle sized pieces. That new sub compact is just a riot though I might not recommend it for your needs. At home though you give up that unattended operation unless you buy a base attachment of some sort.
    4. Make your own band saw! There are plenty of on line resources and books that cover just about any configuration you could imagin.
    5. In the past I wasn't shy about using my recip saw to cut stock. Yeah a little crude but the saw was already owned and thus paid for. These are very capable saws and can be extremely useful out side of your metal working, it is just a matter of getting the right blade.
    6. A hack saw works great too.
    7. Don't be afraid of used but do shop carefully. Generally you can buy a lot more machinery used than you can new.
    8. Another choice you might not be familiar with is cold cut off saws though most of these are expensive.

Now you probably are mad about all the options I've offered up, wanting instead one bit of advice. The problem is I don't know what your needs are, what materials you will be cutting and how often. The 4x6 band saws are often recommended as they are cheap for what you get and cover the needs of many home shops. However I don't know your specifics, where you shop nor what size stock you machine. Many people might prefer the portable band saws for example.

I'm not mad at all. I really appreciate both of your comments. Right now i'm working out of a room in my house so size is a big one. I would mainly be cutting flat bar, sheet metal, and round stock as soon as I get a lathe. Mainly the stuff I work on is prototyping small parts. Right now I'm using a hacksaw and bench vise, but I still haven't figured out how to cut sheet metal without mangling it with a jig saw w/ metal cutting blade.

I think i'll look into modifying a machine to run slower and more rigid

Tools will become a habit, you never have everything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by captianpattson View Post
    I'm not mad at all. I really appreciate both of your comments. Right now i'm working out of a room in my house so size is a big one.
    If that is the case maybe one of those portable bandsaws that you can stuff in a closet is in order. You would likely end up using it hand held in conjunction with your vise. Or you could buy one of those bandsaw tables that work with the saw.
    I would mainly be cutting flat bar, sheet metal, and round stock as soon as I get a lathe.
    You won't be cutting sheet metal with a cutoff band saw nor with a handheld. Maybe a vertical but sheet metal and shears go together.
    Mainly the stuff I work on is prototyping small parts. Right now I'm using a hacksaw and bench vise, but I still haven't figured out how to cut sheet metal without mangling it with a jig saw w/ metal cutting blade.
    Frankly I'd outfit your shop with the lathe to go along with the mill first. My thinking here is that you are using smaller machines and as such a hack saw is still viable for now.
    I think i'll look into modifying a machine to run slower and more rigid
    That might work just fine if you are talking a vertical machine.

Now I seem to remember somebody marketing a small desktop bandsaw that you may want to consider. Maybe it was MicroMark, can't really remember.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    For metal working I went with: G0622 4" x 6" Metal-Cutting Bandsaw, which can be found here: G0622 4" x 6" Metal-Cutting Bandsaw. It isn't a bad saw at all but is obviously low end. IT is fairly easy to move around, at times too easy. It has the capacity I need now and enough that I hope I don't outgrow it too fast.
    I have had one of those made by JET for about 15 years! Still cutting straight and true. Yes it is low end but it works.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

Yes totally useless as sold, if we are talking the same models they are for wood working.. That doesn't mean you can't modify them to better suit your needs. If you want to go vertical saw though at one time you could buy machines with gear boxes that allowed for high speed wood cutting and a far slower metal cutting speed. I didn't go vertical though as horizontal cut off saws generally work better unattended. Plus I already have a wood working saw.

Here are a few thoughts:
    1. Go with the more than 1 billion variants of the 4x6 band saw. Yeah it is expensive, or cheap depending upon your perspective, but should last a life time in the home shop. I've even been using mine for remodeling work to cut pipe and other stuff.

There is a lot of online support for these saws. For the most part everyone sells the same general design so there is a very large user community.
    2. look for a convertable vertical band saw. That is one that can do both low speed metal cutting speeds and one that can do higher speeds for woods and plastics. You loose the ability to do unattended cuts but gain the ability to do interesting things in sheet goods and woods. I'm a fan of band saws anyways as I bought a vertical band saw for wood working before even getting a table saw, they are very handy machines that are quick to set up.
    3. Consider the various handheld band saws that contractors make use of. These are often employeed to cut pipe and other stock hand held. In your case the nice thing is that they are hand held tools that make for easy storage and use anywhere. Examples are here: Milwaukee Tools | Power Saws| Band Saws - Corded, plus battery operated band saws (one being very cute) here:Milwaukee Tools | Cordless Saws | Band Saws. Battery powered ones might allow you to buy large stock at dealers or scrap yards to turn into vehicle sized pieces. That new sub compact is just a riot though I might not recommend it for your needs. At home though you give up that unattended operation unless you buy a base attachment of some sort.
    4. Make your own band saw! There are plenty of on line resources and books that cover just about any configuration you could imagin.
    5. In the past I wasn't shy about using my recip saw to cut stock. Yeah a little crude but the saw was already owned and thus paid for. These are very capable saws and can be extremely useful out side of your metal working, it is just a matter of getting the right blade.
    6. A hack saw works great too.
    7. Don't be afraid of used but do shop carefully. Generally you can buy a lot more machinery used than you can new.
    8. Another choice you might not be familiar with is cold cut off saws though most of these are expensive.

Now you probably are mad about all the options I've offered up, wanting instead one bit of advice. The problem is I don't know what your needs are, what materials you will be cutting and how often. The 4x6 band saws are often recommended as they are cheap for what you get and cover the needs of many home shops. However I don't know your specifics, where you shop nor what size stock you machine. Many people might prefer the portable band saws for example.
    I have had my Milwaukee band saw for over 25 years used it when I was contracting it has worked great never have had a problem with it..

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html