587,854 active members*
4,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Engraving in Cut2D

Engraving in Cut2D

I am getting pretty comfortable with Cut2D, but engraving is still giving me a fit. I managed to break four brand new engraving bits on my first four attempts.

I'm using 1/16" "spoon" engraving bits:

For the most part, I am engraving either brush polished or anodized aluminum, so it's not tough material. I like being able to just break through the black anodizing and the color contrast between the black and bare aluminum is really nice. I'm using parallels to keep the panel/housing true in the vise, so I think I am OK there. What is a good depth to start at and at that depth what should my speed and feed be? Some starting numbers would be a huge help. I thought I had an idea of what I was doing, but obviously I am doing something wrong

Thanks!
    Jason
    RPC Electronics, LLC - www.rpc-electronics.com

What feeds/speeds and DOC. are you using now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    What feeds/speeds and DOC. are you using now?
    Sorry, I just saw that you responded. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to wait until I get home to see what I set the feedrate at on my tests. I honestly do not know the speed right now, but I have a handheld tach that I just got in, so now I can actually measure it and let you know.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by DOC.

Edit: Dumba** me, I just figured out that DOC is Depth Of Cut! I am working in metric and I started with about 0.5mm. I am thinking this is too much and should go down to maybe 0.25mm. Should I go even more shallow?

I'll post the answers to these this evening, after I get home.

Thanks!
    Jason

I just saw another post on a different forum that mentioned 0.005" (0.127mm) is a good place to start. Looks like my idea to go down to 0.25mm is not nearly shallow enough.
    Jason

Yep, engraving bits dont like deep cuts, imagine that instead of a v bit you were using a .25mm end mill, would you try .5mm doc with it?

.005" sounds like a good start.

The other thing that's important on narrow bits is to not plunge down too fast. This alone can destoy the tips of any narrow cutters.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    The other thing that's important on narrow bits is to not plunge down too fast. This alone can destoy the tips of any narrow cutters.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I found that plunging didn't seem to be the problem, but when I started to X-Y, that's when the cutter would break. So, obviously my DOC was the major problem.
    Jason