587,997 active members*
1,794 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > What do the markings on these gear cutters mean?

What do the markings on these gear cutters mean?

I found this old set of gear cutters that are apparently for clockmaking, but I have no other information on them, and I don't recognize the markings. They're each a little over an inch in diameter and between and 8th inch thick to 3/16th inches thick. I've attached a couple pictures with the markings visible. I assume this is a set and each cutter will cut a specific range of teeth on an involute gear. Does anyone know what the values on these gears mean and what the tooth ranges would be?

I've only ever seen gear cutters with modulus values between 1 and 8, these have numbers like 0 40, 0 50, 0 60, etc through 0 90. And each one says n 10 degrees.

Thanks!

Here are the images:

http://i.imgur.com/6LiTe.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Dc9vt.jpg

They mean "Cut Gear 1 At Time".

why don't you call these guys?
    Bergeon-Tecnoli Gear Cutters

The "mod" numbers are the module numbers for involute gear cutting. 10 degree is the pressure angle. The other numbers are probably the part/catalog numbers for the cutter maker.

Have I read it right. These simple dividing part a the end of the page should cost nearly 8000$. Materialcost in them isn't higher than 300.

Quote Originally Posted by uli12us View Post
    Have I read it right. These simple dividing part a the end of the page should cost nearly 8000$. Materialcost in them isn't higher than 300.
    Yeah, material cost is just a couple of bits of steel, the machine makes itself......no human labour....LOL.
    Ian.

I have zero different information on it, as well as I don't know the marks. They're each a quick over a particular inches in diameter and also between and 8th inch dense to 3/16th inches thick. I've attached a couple images with the marks plain. I assume this really is a package as well as each cutter could cut a particular array of tooth enamel on a particular involute gear. .