587,781 active members*
2,618 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sharp or Santec ?

I purchased a "new, old stock" CNC ready bed mill recently from a reputable Sharp dealer, and was told it was a Sharp Santec RB-310 which they aquired from the Sharp main headquarters here in the states. It had been set up in a tech lab to evaluate different control fittings and compatability and then covered and forgotten for 10 years. When I received the manual for it some weeks later there was no mention or referrence to Sharp anywhere in it, just Santec RB-310 on the cover. The exploded views of the machine in the manual are clearly of this one in every detail, yet the name on the milling head says "MEGA", not Sharp or Santec or any combination. It's a very nice heavy square way machine with head counterweight, grade C-3 precision ground ball screws, and class 7 angular contact spindle bearings. I copied and pasted the following from the original posting on eBay:

NEW SHARP “SANTEC” RB-310 BED MILL CNC READY

MODEL RB-310
    S/N AA0059

INVENTORY #2144
    MINT CONDITION !!!!!!

THIS IS A HIGH QUALITY HEAVEY DUTY MILL !!
    SELECT YOUR OWN CONTROL

LIST PRICE IS $17,950.00

I've never heard of Mega and the head certainly looks original. Anyone have any better knowledge or input on this? I have pictures if they will help. I'm guessing that there's probably one factory in China that produced this machine and applied the brand name to suit the different dealers like so many other products. So a Santec is a Sharp, is a Mega, etc. Am I close, or what's in a name??

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by dtw View Post
    I purchased a "new, old stock" CNC ready bed mill recently from a reputable Sharp dealer, and was told it was a Sharp Santec RB-310 which they aquired from the Sharp main headquarters here in the states. It had been set up in a tech lab to evaluate different control fittings and compatability and then covered and forgotten for 10 years. When I received the manual for it some weeks later there was no mention or referrence to Sharp anywhere in it, just Santec RB-310 on the cover. The exploded views of the machine in the manual are clearly of this one in every detail, yet the name on the milling head says "MEGA", not Sharp or Santec or any combination. It's a very nice heavy square way machine with head counterweight, grade C-3 precision ground ball screws, and class 7 angular contact spindle bearings. I copied and pasted the following from the original posting on eBay:

NEW SHARP “SANTEC” RB-310 BED MILL CNC READY

MODEL RB-310
    S/N AA0059

INVENTORY #2144
    MINT CONDITION !!!!!!

THIS IS A HIGH QUALITY HEAVEY DUTY MILL !!
    SELECT YOUR OWN CONTROL

LIST PRICE IS $17,950.00

I've never heard of Mega and the head certainly looks original. Anyone have any better knowledge or input on this? I have pictures if they will help. I'm guessing that there's probably one factory in China that produced this machine and applied the brand name to suit the different dealers like so many other products. So a Santec is a Sharp, is a Mega, etc. Am I close, or what's in a name??

Woody
    WOW, this brings back memories.
    1st, Sharp/Santec where the same US corporation. They recently split, with Santec getting out of the machine tool end. Sharp is the builder and have their own factory in Taiwan. If you go to Sharp US headquarters in Torrance, CA, 1/2 the building is Sharp, the other 1/2 Santec. Check out google maps, you'll see.

Mega was company started by Don and Gary of Machining Time Savers (now HFO-Anaheim).
    They would buy naked machines, graft on a cnc (usually Anilam) and sheet metal and for a few years where considered a machine tool builder. They actually had distributors throughout the country. But, I'm sure uncle Gene (Haas) was not too hip with it and they shut down ops. Google Machining Time Savers and give them a call, they probably still have all the documentation.

Sharp/Santec/Mega

RevEdo, Thanks for the response! Thought the inquiry was dead after almost a year with no response. I guess I was pretty close with my guess. I installed a used Trak A.G.E. 3 system I bought that was from a tech school upgrade program, and purchased and modified DPM castings to end up with a professional installation. I removed the "Mega" nameplate that was a scratched up thin aluminum photo etched hand cut job and replaced it with a reverse engraved 3/16" thick Lexan beveled plate, maroon background with black and gold letters - very sharp quality look, machined and engraved on the Sharp/Santec. This machine is about 25% heavier and higher quality than the Trak DPM so the overall results were amazing. Very accurate, smooth, and solid. I recently sold the machine since it prooved to be too big for my shop. I had to restrict the vertical travel by almost 8" to clear my kitchen floor. I didn't make anything on the project and lost probably 200 hrs. of my time machining custom parts and assembly. Another lesson learned!

Thanks again,

Daryl

Parts??

Hello, I too have a sharp/santec/mega mill. rb310. your post was helpful as mine is broken down.

the service person cracked a bearing housing as they were replacing a bearing and im trying to avoid making one. Do you know where to find parts or a breakdown of the head? I do not have a manual for the machine.:tired:

Try Machining Time Savers in Anaheim, CA