587,773 active members*
2,792 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

C10 Breakout board with laptop

Hi,

I have a C10 breakout board from cnc4pc and I have connected one step motor through a KL-4030 driver. If I plug a 5V power source into the C10 board, the motor doesn't move. If I use only the power coming from the parallel port, that motor move. I have measured the voltage coming from the parallel port at 2.45V.

Is it risky to use only the power from the parallel port?

Thanks in advance

Well I classify myself in the category of knowledgeable enough to be dangerous. And I would say you are on very thin ice. I would suggest you contact Arturo at cnc4pc and find out.

Remember once the magic smoke leaves electronics, there is no getting it back in.

Rick

Thank you Rick for your post.

I was thinking last night that maybe the problem (when the 5V power supply is connected) is that the board cannot detect a "0" from a "1". I will try to drop the input power from 5V to 3.6 with some diodes tonight and post the results.

StebQC

Check your power source against the c10 specs to see if the 5v ps outputs enough current. I think mine needs 500 mA.

Also, if you have the "enable" wires hooked up at the drivers, try reversing the pin in Mach3 for enabling the drives . I think the driver needs the pin low to operate, but the c10 defaults to high. You could also just unhook the "ENA" wire from the driver.

There is your problem. Your parallel board is putting out a low voltage. You need a pull up resistors on the output of the board. The BOB needs to have at least 3.9 -5.4 volts to work properly. How old is the computer or parallel board are you using.

Check your power source against the c10 specs to see if the 5v ps outputs enough current. I think mine needs 500 mA.
    My power source is rated at 1000mA. Should be enough.

Also, if you have the "enable" wires hooked up at the drivers, try reversing the pin in Mach3 for enabling the drives . I think the driver needs the pin low to operate, but the c10 defaults to high. You could also just unhook the "ENA" wire from the driver.
    I'm currently trying to use LinuxCNC but I will try to find a similar option in it. I will try this after work.

There is your problem. Your parallel board is putting out a low voltage. You need a pull up resistors on the output of the board. The BOB needs to have at least 3.9 -5.4 volts to work properly. How old is the computer or parallel board are you using.
    My laptop is about 10 years old (yeah I know, it is a piece of junk but it is still working )

I have lowered the voltage from the power source to ~3.7V and it seems to work now. I'll have some stability tests to run when everything is hooked up.

Thank you guys for your help.