587,204 active members*
2,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport VMC Z axis will not home

Hello everyone! I have a Bridgeport VMC 1000 22. I started the machine today as I normally would and went to home the machine and instead of the Z axis moving up to home position, it moves down, and continues down until it limited out. Any ideas or suggestions on where to go from here?

age?

control?

was it running yesterday and for the previous 10 years or whatever?

It sounds like your z-azis limit switch is stuck on. If it is moving real slow it thinks it is on the decell switch because the switch is stuck in. I believe it is X9.2 input and it should be a 1 if it is not on the decell dog.

Its roughly 10 years old, and it uses a Heidenhein controller. The machine ran fine until this point.
    I turned the machine on and went through the homing process, z being the first, it went to the home position, then started to travel towards the work surface. I turned the feed rate down and it actually maxed out and put an error up that Z was beyond limits. Now the z axis is near the work surface and I cant even get it to move up manually until its "homed".

Quote Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
    It sounds like your z-azis limit switch is stuck on. If it is moving real slow it thinks it is on the decell switch because the switch is stuck in. I believe it is X9.2 input and it should be a 1 if it is not on the decell dog.
    I cleaned out the Z limit switch, there was in fact a small piece of material wedged in the switch preventing it from working properly. I rebooted the machine and it is working normally now. Should have been the first thing I checked, but sometimes we ignore the obvious! Thanks a bunch Factory Guy! All fixed.