587,711 active members*
3,654 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: NVR Switch

NVR Switch

My 6040 from China does not have an emergency button.
    That's no problem, easily fixed.
    It is run by Mach3.
    However, I do not like the idea of the spindle starting automatically when the power comes back, after whatever the reason the power was cut.
    Does Mach3 automatically stop the running of the spindle or do I need to put a NVR switch in?
    I am apprehensive about putting a huge paddle switch on such a small box.
    Cheers
    Wolffie

My 6040 has the mushroom e-stop wired across the mains supply to the VFD and stepper power supply, but there is no signal sent to Mach3 when it's pressed, so Mach3 charges on through the G code. However, on my machine, the spindle is started by the buttons on the VFD, so when power is restored, the spindle remains off, but if I haven't stopped Mach3, the steppers get on and continue doing their thing.

There is a smaller reset button on the unit that triggers the e-stop line, but it's stand-alone and won't stop the spindle, just Mach3. If there was Mach3 spindle control, it would also stop the spindle, but a proper e-stop should cut the mains supply completely.

I will add spindle control at some point, and when I do, I'll probably add a mains-voltage relay to the output of the mushroom button that triggers the e-stop signal to Mach3 when de-energised.

My box has no other buttons than the power on one, guess the controls will have to be done through software.
    I have yet to start it up, one of the PCBs was loose inside and I am waiting for a reply how/where to mount it.
    I have added a mushroom button to the mains but don't know much about a mains-voltage relay.
    Cheers
    Wolffie