587,745 active members*
2,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko 202 stopped working

Hybrid View

Gecko 202 stopped working

I have a Bridgeport retrofit that uses Gecko 202 drivers. It works great for 2 days then the "Z" axis Gecko just stops. The red light is on but no power to the stepper. This has happened twice now. Could it be the stepper motor or something else. X and Y axix are fine.

I need to get the machine running but afraid to kill another Gecko 202.

My power is 63V dc and 5 amp limit resister.

Appreciate some ideas,
    Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com

Call to Gecko

Spoke with Gecko just now. A big No, No, I'm have been doing is switching off the DC power to the drivers with the switch between the driver and the DC power supply. Best to turn off the AC power to the DC power supply.
    Jim

Decided to try another Stepper motor since the original did a few strange things and killed 2 driver boards.

I'm running now. Either I damaged the stepper motor by switching the power on or off to the stepper or it was bad because it was 25 years old.
    Jim

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll keep all this in mind, just in case I ever run into a similar problem.

Best of all, Gecko repaired both driver boards for free so now I have spares.
    Some little capacitor quit workking.
    Gecko has great customer support.
    Jim