587,475 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need some help!

Dont even know where to begin.

Could start with the fact that my shoptask came with no kind of instructions other than the owners manual, which is cool but I also got the cnc upgrade. There is nothing there at all giving me a clue on wtf to do...

After playing around with for the first time today, there is an on/off switch for the cnc on the left end of the machine. Least thats what I assume it is. Just above that there is a toggle switch, which I assume is to toggle between lathe function and mill function. In the up position the mill works anyway. In the down position, nothing effin works..lol. Might be noticable, but in case it isnt, Ive got half the hair on my head tore out now.

Also, on the milling part, a positive move in the z axis moves the quill down and a negative move moves the quill up, just the opposite of every cnc I have laid hands on.. anyone else have this problem?

Last ?, for now anyway, while in the Mach3 program for milling, I cant jog the table or quill. If I leave the toggle in the mill position and use the turning program (mach3 turn) then I can jog the quill up and down and move the table in the x..

Please help, please?? lol.

If its easier and you have the time, give me a call, 1-815-973-7912, or PM me you number and Ill give you a call on my dime...

Mute,

There is a motor reversal setting on Mach2 which is you control program, if you reverse the z motor that should take care of it. On the Disc from camtronics who makes your controller there should be you mach2 users manual.

But, look under the config menu and look for motor reversal(I'm speeking from memory) also you should have Dan Moulch number at cam tronics, he can answer some questions. Now that I have commented on your thread, I will be notified to any post that you make, so ank away. I usualyy don't monitor this forum, because it can be pretty slow.

I'll help where I can

Ron

Ron, thanks for the offer and the call. Ive got everything on the machine running now.

Now my biggest problem is using the wizards. Cant get em to let me put an arc on a surface that looks like the bottom of a "U". Actualy, the part I am trying to do looks just like a "U" with a mirror image sitting right on top of it, all lathe work.

Mute,
    that's good news, I had just built a cnc lathe from a harbor freight and even did a spindle speed sync circuit so it can cut threads automatically, I haven't done it to my shopmaster, but it would be pretty simple.

One thing that I did for the shopmaster was to connect a $20 tarus keypad that I velcro mounted to the front panel where I can have a local jog control. Makes it read easier for set ups.

What kind of backlash did you have on your x and y axis, and do you know how to use the backlash compensation feature in the Mach2 or (Mach3) software, to eliminate the backlash using the computer?

Ron

Nope havent messed with the back lash settings yet. Ive got .006 in the z (quill) .012 in y (in and out) and 10 in the Z (left and right)