587,459 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Stepper Motor Control Upon Startup

Stepper Motor Control Upon Startup

Hello,

I am working on assembling a CNC foam cutter. There will be 2 stepper motors for both the x and y axis. I also plan on messing around with building my own controller. How can I ensure that both motors start at the right step when powering up the controller IC? If I build my own discrete control system using a uC or FPGA and I am microstepping can I just apply the same current pattern to both drives and they will both start from the same position?

When you turn off the machine, you will not know the exact microstep state of the steppers. When you turn on the machine, the state will be the Reset state; whatever you or the chip manufacture has decided it will be. Therefore you could be off several microsteps. It is usually not a problem. A step is 1/200 of a revolution. You then have to combine this with the tpi of the screw to transform it into a movement. For foam, I would think it inconsequential.

You could always just use home switches and return to them after/before every operation.

Steve