587,462 active members*
3,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Just Got my X2 Mill

I have an Atlas 10" lathe but without a mill it's only half of a working metal shop. I just brought home a Harbor Freight X2 a few days ago. I really needed a mill and this one was about the right size for my projects. I am still awaiting delivery of an Enco milling vise before I make my first test cuts. I pretty much tossed the stock chuck and I will get an R8 to MT2 converter for my Albrecht which I use on the lathe. One note is the Z axis, the backlash is pretty bad. I took it apart but saw no easy way to fix it. What should I expect for the price?

Needless to say I do not want to spend much time manually milling parts and I want to quickly upgrade this X2 to a CNC machine. I have been looking at controllers, motors (steppers) and conversion kits and the options are many. I wish to get a four axis controller kit but I will wait to install the 4th axis. Once the X,Y and Z is running I can make a proper 4th axis mount myself when the time is right.

1. Belt drive is a must, Who's best? KDN or LMS or the cheaper one for $95 (sorry cant remember the name).
    2. Best X,Y,Z ball nut CNC conversion kit; Fusion or who ever else makes a full conversion kit? Should I keep the Manual option open or toss the wheels? Is there another non ball mount CNC conversion kit available?
    3. 4 Axis controller and motor(Stepper), Gecko (don't see motors) or Xylotex ( I can get 4 motors at the same time). What controller model makes the most sense if I go with Gecko or any other brand?

If there is any other suppliers, specific items or suggestions you have to make my decision easier (or should I say harder) feel free to comment. Of course the software would be Mach2.

One other note it would be nice to keep the whole upgrade at a reasonable price point.

Woodenspoke,

I am in the same boat as you. I have owned my X2 for a couple of years now and want to convert it to CNC. The route I am going to go is with the CNCFusion kit with all 3 ballscrews($539), Xylotex 3 axis "ready Kit"($420) and Mach2/3($160). I really don't think I'll need the 4th axis at this point but I might down the road in that case it's $600 for the controller,steppers etc. From what I have read this is a solid setup plan. I should have everything ordered within the next couple of weeks

LAter,Tim

You might want to look at , cnc Bridges.

CNC Bridges????? No clue did a goggle search and found nothing to do with a Mini Mill conversion.

I did find out that the NEMHA motors sold with the Xylotex kits are double shafted so You can remount your handles on the rear shaft if I deceide to go with the CNCFusion kit. I always worry about disasters and not having access.

I am also in the process of moving within the next few months so the retrofit is going to have to wait till I am settled again. I don't want movers handling a converted Mill.

I have a ?

Is it less expensive to buy the machine manual and then source and assemble into a CNC machine over getting a ready to go Syil?

If so is it a lot less expensive?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

woodenspoke,

The CNC Bridges machine is made from PLASTIC..no really it's made from plastic and uses the X2 head. I want to machine Delrin not a machine made from it.

LAter,
    Tim Wiltse

How prejudice!
    Lets see, they use steel machines to make steel parts,
    why not plastic machines to make plastic parts?

However, using a plastic machine to make steel parts is probably pushing it too far.