Since I have no immediate intention to CNC my IH mill I dismissed the general tear-down and lapping as too tedious for my needs.
My table and saddle are supremely smooth and I thought I'd just continue reading posts until I or someone had an epiphany about the column/head.

Yeah.....welllllll....never one to leave well enough alone I concluded that since I'll have this mill for several years to come yet....why not, eh?

Glad I did!

There are many areas in there crying for improvement, ESPECIALLY if it's to be a manual machine.

I'm particularly intrigued though by finding a shim between the 2 pieces that make up the component that the lead screw for the head runs through.
....Oh, hell, I can't think of the name right now but the lead screw nut with the Allen bolt in the middle that Aaron modifies. :tired: Been a long day.

It looks as if the nut would bind on the lead screw if that shim is removed.

So anyway the project now is to replace the bearings with severals grades better, install some thrust bearings where there are only thrust washers now and lap the rough spots off the column.

From what I've seen so far it's WELL worth the effort.