587,943 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Book(s) Recommendation

Ok, I've got some great books on general machining and tooling. However, I'm looking for a good resource that explains the CNC, Strategies, G-codes and Posting side of things. Stuff like lead in/out, spiral v/s ramping. Speeds and feeds I feel I can get from CNC Cookbook, Machinist Handbook, Machinist Calculator and tool makers recommendations. I have very little training on the machinist side of things and certainly very little in the CNC/G-Code side so any current resources would be most helpful.

Also, recommended websites or youtube channels. Right now I follow: NYCNC, BAMCNC and a couple of others.

Thanks for your recommendations!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: CNC Book(s) Recommendation

That is an easy one:

CNC Programming by Peter Smid. I highly recommend it. It is a great reference book that actually explains the how and why.

http://www.amazon.com/CNC-Programmin.../dp/0831133473

I also like the two book series "Machine Shop Practice" by Moltrecht, although it is about manual machining,
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I would not recommend the Smid book for those new to CNC, because it is based on FANUC CNC coding, some of which does not apply to Tormach's Mach3.
    The best place to start learning the Gcode basics is the Tormach Manual. It has lots of detail and all relevant to Tormach's Mach3.implementation.

I assume you will be using a CAM program (with a post processor specific for Tormach) to generate the Gcode for your machining projects. However it wont be long before you will want to make minor modifications to the generated code, and the Tormach Manual has all the info you need.

Your main focus is going to be learning about speeds and feeds,depth of cuts, tooling, techniques, work holding etc for some time. Only get the Smid book if and when you want to start writing complicated Gcode to maximise efficiency/speed for a major project.

Have fun.
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    That is an easy one:

CNC Programming by Peter Smid. I highly recommend it. It is a great reference book that actually explains the how and why.

CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition: 9780831133474: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

I also like the two book series "Machine Shop Practice" by Moltrecht, although it is about manual machining,

Cnc programming is a very complete and concise text. I found this to be my go to reference for understanding cnc operations.
    As tmarks mentions it explains in detail what your code format, parameters and conditions should be all detailed with equations and diagrams to get the CAM settings right.
    I would like to note this is an advanced text and will discourage many from reading and using and takes time to even review yet alone understand. I write NO code by hand or even edit it. I do everything from hole drilling to surface fly cut prep in cam software and find the book explains in detail all the operations and math taking much of the cam mystery out of the thousands of parameters and settings. In short find a good reference and use with good cam software to get the most out of your tool. oh and you have to draw it also so cad is also up on list!
    md

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    I assume you will be using a CAM program (with a post processor specific for Tormach) to generate the Gcode for your machining projects.
    Bevin
    Hey Bevin, yes I'm using both Fusion360 Ultimate as well as CAMWorks 2012. I am hoping to use Fusion360 Ultimate as my main program since my maintenance on my CAMWorks has run out and it's $2,500 to update it. Java has some new scripts that messes up CAMWorks and unless you're under maintenance, they will not give you the patch to fix it. Nothing like $12,000 worth of software that's now useless. I do however have it installed on a purpose built computer that only by accident is not connected to the internet so Java never updated.

The team at Fusion360 seem to be super helpful and willing to help with any post processor issues!

Thanks for the book references and the info contained within the Tormach user manual. How many of you use CNC Cookbook for info on feeds/speeds?

I would not recommend the Smid book for those new to CNC, because it is based on FANUC CNC coding, some of which does not apply to Tormach's Mach3.
    Peter Smid's book is what the Mach3 developers use as their "bible", so there are few areas where Mach3 differs from the contents of the book, and those few are largely for legacy reasons. Mach4 will follow Smid's book to the letter.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for watching! You watch John Grimsmo too right? I would say Grimsmo has the best fixture vids on YouTube, out of anyone I have learned the most from him. NYCCNC has more produced videos, and great Solidworks stuff, but unless you use sprut CAM, you can't learn anything from his CAM vids because Sprut just looks like a disaster as far as CAM goes. Grimsmo now uses HSMWorks aswell.

Since you use Fusion, the CAM side will be similar to HSMWorks and I plan to do many more videos on that soon. Also my Tormach POST should work for you. If you have any suggestions for vids, or if you have a part you want me to CAM in a video, I could do that for you.

I would say the best way to learn is to just read forums, and read through the code that your CAM posts, and try and follow what it's doing, if you question a certain G code then just search for it. I haven't read my Tormach manual yet, but know that it is a great manual to read, I'd also suggest reading it. I would also buy some used Fixture and Jig books, also Tom Lipton's books would be good too. I don't like the Smid book, it is not for beginners. I think if I were to read it again now, I could absorb it more, so I'd say shy away from that and learn what you need to learn (what is in YOUR cam code) not what ALL G code is, because you will only see a small portion of it. Plus the canned cycles get crazy and are machine/controller specific and are hardly used now-a-days if using CAM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Thanks for watching! You watch John Grimsmo too right? I would also buy some used Fixture and Jig books
    Sorry Grimsmo, how the heck could I have forgotten to leave him out of this. Love his down to earth - garage style videos! NYCCNC, Grimsmo and your videos is what convinced me to purchase the Tormach!

What fixture books would you recommend?

Thanks guys! This is what I love about this forum. Tons of insight with views from multiple angles.

Grimsmo and NYCCNC are the reason I got a Tormach

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I have a whole stack of books. Just depends on what you do, what you need. I use probably less than 1% of what I have read in the books, but that doesn't mean it's not good info.

I only use softjaws, which throws alot of things out the window, and makes many things like squaring your vise a thing of the past.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I have a whole stack of books.
    Hey, you should sell me that stack of books at a discount! Then when I'm finished, I'll sell them at a discount to the next Newbie that comes along. Pretty soon, they'll be a stack of free books floating around the Newbies. :banana:

That sounds like a good idea, I'll have to gather them up.

The best place to start learning the Gcode basics is the Tormach Manual. It has lots of detail and all relevant to Tormach's Mach3.implementation.

I assume you will be using a CAM program (with a post processor specific for Tormach) to generate the Gcode for your machining projects. However it wont be long before you will want to make minor modifications to the generated code, and the Tormach Manual has all the info you need.

Your main focus is going to be learning about speeds and feeds,depth of cuts, tooling, techniques, work holding etc for some time. Only get the Smid book if and when you want to start writing complicated Gcode to maximise efficiency/speed for a major project.

Have fun.
    Bevin
    I have only been running and programming NC's and CNC's since about 1965 and the Mach system on your Tormach PCNC's programs EXACTLY like a Fanuc.

I use GibbsCam to program my machine and the post processor I use is for a Fanuc 6M from a Kitimura Machining Center. The Fanuc 6M control came along in early 80's. Then it was followed by the 6MB. After that I lost track because I started using other controls. I have used and programmed controls from Charnoa (made in Israel) Centurion, some weird control on a Tree Chucker. I have also programmed controls from Yasnac, Bandit, Allen Bradley, Fadal, Haas and Mazak.

I will post process a program from my GibbsCam, then I will make some manual edits because there is a certain way I like the computer to see the programs I use.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

+ on the Peter Smid books.
    A good source of text books in general for what is often a steal of a price is Abebooks clearing house.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Exactly is not Exactly the term. Very Similar would be closer. It is BASED off Fanuc, but you will find if you use a Post for Fanuc that it will not work MOST of the time. Depends on how complex the program is aswell. This of course is based off your CAM aswell. I can say that it won't work perfectly with HSMWorks, or RhinoCAM - you need to modify the post, or use a Tormach specific post (which still needs edited) I've never seen a Fanuc post with M998 for example

I've never seen a Fanuc post with M998 for example
    Of course, M998 is, technically, a Tormach incompatibility, being a Tormach-created macro, rather than a part of Mach3 itself, and having nothing to do with Mach3 being, or not, Fanuc-compatible. The Smid book is, in general, the best and most accurate reference there is for programming Mach3 G-code.

There are also many useful Mach3-specific documents here: Product Manuals - Newfangled Solutions
    including the Mach3 Macro Programmers Reference (which I wrote....), for those who want to customize their installation with macros.

Somewhere is a document penned by TerryP (ArtSoft forum username BR549) describing all the G-codes actually implemented in recent versions of Mach3, and their various quirks and limitations. You may have to contact Terry to get your hands on it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Right, since we are in the Tormach Sub-Forum, talking about a guy with a Tormach, I'm just trying to keep any miss-information from being said.

Smid book is good, but too much info for a n00b is never a good thing.

You can do a quick online search for any of the G-codes you see in your CAM posted code that you wonder about and have your answer faster than you can flipping through the book. The world is changing, and many people give out lots of info for free online now - why do you think newspapers are/will be a thing of the past eventually.

Reminds me of local stores that keep going out of business.. nobody leaves their house anymore, put your business online and keep up with the times. The world is changing for sure.

+1 on Smid plus the Tormach manual so you can know the difference.

Don C.

Smid book is good, but too much info for a n00b is never a good thing.
    Different strokes for different folks.

When I was first learning g-code, Smid was my go-to reference source. Explained all the stuff that the poorly-photocopied book of notes at the local tech college used to teach with. Other students emerged without a good understanding of subroutines, variables, etc, all of which I only got from Smid. I could write 20 lines of code that did what other students did with 200 lines.

We were using a Haas, but that still meant 90% of the Smid book applied. Now I am using a Tormach. Again, it is a great reference source.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

another +1 for peter smids book, it was my go to when i started learning g-code, a very good source for any newbie.

I cant offer books...
    but...

first get a cadprogram.. something like draftsight..
    you need to see how vectors are placed in the cordinata system..

draftsight is free, and you can draw any vector by absolute or relative from previous position..
    your head need to see the vectors in the ""space""
    you going to learn theres no ""2d"" ... even vectors are laying on a plane the plane has a Z value..

next about gcodes..

first look for a g-code editor, or backplot program..
    I think cnccookbok has one..
    also theres the ncplot...

so as you write your first codes, you can see them displayed.. gcode editor don't crash like a machine..

first just try to make simple things..

use G00 and G1

on a checkered paper draw a shape, even just by hand and try to code it
    imagine the lower left corner is the cordinata system zero, also that is your work envelope zero..

next figure out how the G02 G03 works..

next learn the G17-18-19

when you feel fairly you see whats going on, then get a book as others offer you..

so you going to see what is in the book.. like anything in the life, first learn to walk, then learn to run..

Page 1 of 2 12