587,372 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Another newbie with the Tom McGuire instructable as an inspiration....

Another newbie with the Tom McGuire instructable as an inspiration....

Hello there

Joined today having spent weeks looking at various DIY CNC things on the web. Tom Mcguire's Stepper controller seems a popular start point so I'm going to attempt it as well.
    I have 10 years experience running CNC routers. One was the step4 basic 540 which was used to cut parts for R/C aircraft kits. We also acted as agents in the UK for Step4 at the time. I also ran a much larger american CNC machine, about 1 meter sq. working area, the name of which escapes me.

So I'm looking to have fun implimenting a CNC build. It wont be big and I appreciate the limitations of the Mcguire circuit. I have also been doing electronics as a hobby for six years so the circuit build will be easy for me. I can also make my own PCB's using the toner transfer method.

One thing I am conscious of is not breaking my PC's integrated Parallel port by accident. To this end I have drawn up a single sided PCB and schematic with opto Isolators added to protect the PC against the possibility of the magic smoke being freed.

Budget is key here. As I have very limited funds. I am carer for my wife nuff' said.

Heres the schematic with the addition of the opto.

Attachment 275130

Fingers crossed it all works when built.

Havelock

Re: Another newbie with the Tom McGuire instructable as an inspiration....

Hello there

Well I realised I had only done the schematic with only one opto-isolator rather than the three required. :withstupi

So I redrew it again. Also drew up the PCB. Initially I had it as a single PCB with all three axis. Now I have it as a single PCB with one Instance of the circuit so three will be needed for a three axis machine. I just have to draw up the PCB that the D sub 25 port will be fixed to that the other PCB's will be wired to this. well that's the plan any way.

Here's the corrected schematic and a PDF of the PCB Art done at 300DPI. The PCB should measure 47.25mm x 62mm. Just noticed the LPT signal pins are numbered incorrectly. Clock should be 2, Direction 3, Enable 4. A second circuit would go 5, 6, 7 and the third 8, 9, 14. All circuits have their LPT 18 - 25 wired to all those pins.