587,287 active members*
4,039 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Multicam Machines > Will I get more suction with our vacuum hold down by.....?

Will I get more suction with our vacuum hold down by.....?

Hi there,

I work on a MultiCam 3000 series that has vacuum hold down. Our pump is a 30 hp but doesn't seem to create the mercury it should. Would I get more hold down force by drilling a series of holes roughly half way thru the depth of the LDF spoil board with spacing around 1" apart? Any input would be great. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Re: Will I get more suction with our vacuum hold down by.....?

My MC Turbo 20hp Pump maxs out at 13-15 HG on my 5'x10' 4 zone table. I use particle board as my spoil board.
    If you coat the edges of your spoil board this can help on the vacuum. Mine is a high volume, not high pressure pump.
    If cutting production pcs. I'll make dedicated jigs with gaskets from .75" Baltic birch ply for parts, this provides for much more localized suction.

There are different types of pump setups for differing cutting applications.

Neal

To get your vacuum to hold down at it's best.

1. You need to use MDF cabinet grade, LDF is too porous, you are losing a large amount of your hold down using LDF.
    2. Check your filters, your inlet filter and the bypass if they are extremely dirty. This will decrease your air flow.
    3. Check your foam tape that you use put on the table top, if the tape is at the same level as the phenolic you are losing air flow between the table and the MDF. Replace all of the tape, not just sections.
    4. You can take paint primer and paint the edges of the MDF, to help contain the air flow.
    5. Check the PVC connected to the table top, a fitting may have come lose.

If you are still having issue there are a couple of more things for can try...keep us informed.

Allstar Adhesives has a great selection and customer service for CNC vacuum tapes and gaskets.
    In*Board Products - All Star Adhesives - gasketing products for CNC routers and v-groove tape for v-grooving and coving applications

Neal