587,518 active members*
3,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma cutting holes?

Hi,

Just been reading lots of threads on plasma cuting and I'm getting the impression that small holes maybe a problem. I want to know whats the smallest diameter holes that can DIY plasma could cut? Now I know this depends upon so many factors like Touch band, head type etc. I have no experience of any yet.

Thanks

Dan

I have been cutting 3/8 holes with my setup.I just cut them undersize then i ream them out with a 3/8 drill bit.

I have cut all the way down to 1/4" holes in 1/4" plate with great results and a uni-bit on the holes to clean them up. I use the uni because I ship these parts, if I was installing them here no clean up would be needed.
    Ed-Ryno
    www.rynomobility.com

I have alot of orders for parts with 3/8" holes and for me, it's the same as Redline. I cut them undersize and drill them out. I can get the holes to be nice on the front of the piece but the backside gets ugly sometimes. I offer pricing for me to drill them, or for my customers to drill them. Most of the time, my customers want to save the money and drill 'em themselves.

We peirce the holes with a 1 second blast then come back with the ironworker and punch the holes with a piloted punch.

with my PlasmaCAM table I've cut holes as small as 1/8th inch cleanly. I have to admit I prefer to cut undersized as well and drill the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by alliance_metal View Post
    with my PlasmaCAM table I've cut holes as small as 1/8th inch cleanly. I have to admit I prefer to cut undersized as well and drill the rest.
    What thickness of steel are you cutting and what torch are you using?

the thickest I've cut small holes like that was 3/16ths (so far) and I'm using the Hypertherm Powermax 380. For the most part though I'm cutting 1/8th inch and 16 gauge ..I like cutting the thicker stuff, I just haven't had a call for it recently.

I usually cut with oxy-fuel and I've done 3/8” diameter holes - it's brilliant. High definition plasma is like a laser, you can cut as small a hole as you like. But the thing to watch for with oxy or plasma is the lead in path so as not to get a nasty edge gouge.

The rule of thumb I use is the diameter=plate thickness, with the lead in starting at the center of the hole.