587,776 active members*
2,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help with lVLS 3.50 Engraver

I know this is my first post so please be patient with me as I’m a web developer not a laser engraver by any means. In addition if this is the wrong area for my post my apologies as well. I work for the USMC and a MGySgt here asked for my help since he thinks I know how to do everything that requires a computer to operate.

He purchased a ULS (VLS 3.50) desktop engraver and it has a 50W laser attached to it. We have our unit logo that we are trying to burn into pine wood as a test. What he is trying to achieve is a “3D” globe for part of our logo.

I’ve read the manuals for the machine, used Aspire, Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw, YouTube videos to try and achieve a 3D globe (Convex) using a grayscale image. I have no experience with the software listed. I used Google to create the attached unit logo to burn on to wood and the results were ok.

Our most recent burns include the following settings within the latest ULS software. 50% power, 250 PPI, 65% Speed, default 3D settings and 1 inch material. The problems that still occur are as follows; the burning of the wood or sap, not getting the proper depth and the globe is flatter instead of convex.

We contacted ULS for support and they have been helpful, however I'm not sure if they fully understand what we’re trying to achieve. I thought I would post our images and the end results for feedback and support on something that we might be missing. We have been at this for a month and I think we have hit a brick wall in advancing. We would request onsite support but we’re located in Germany so that is a no go.

V/r

Re: Need Help with lVLS 3.50 Engraver

I would say that the main problem is that your timber has too well defined grain. You will always get heavier burning on the resin. Apart from that, it looks fairly reasonable. I'm not familiar with timber choices in your part of the world, so can offer you no help in that area. Some of your countrymen will surely jump in here.