587,775 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Learn how to build a cnc router class - from popular woodworking

Learn how to build a cnc router class - from popular woodworking

Got this in an email today. Looks kind of interesting even though im sure there is lots more information on this forum alone than what will be covered in the class. Looks like they had a previous class on this subject but when I searched the forum I couldn't find where anyone had talked about it before so I figured i'ld share the info whit whomever might be interested.

Whats included in the class:

Dimensioned drawings

Step-by-step instructions
    Complete parts list and links to online sources
    SketchUp model
    Machining and assembly tips
    Optional quizzes to help you get a better understanding of the material
    Discussion forums so you can ask questions and communicate with your instructor
    A gallery page where you can post project photos

https://classes.popularwoodworking.c...-for-your-shop

Re: Learn how to build a cnc router class - from popular woodworking

save yourself $50 towards a build and read a few build threads on the forums, I am sure I can learn more from a few forums than how to create an MDF unit that I would want to replace next week for especially as for about the same price I can build a half decent solid machine.

I somewhat agree with you, because i would say you would be wanting a bigger stronger machine within a couple of weeks once the build was done. What i do like is how it gives you a step by step process of what it takes for a cnc machine to work. While it is true that you can glean a magnitude of information reading these threads, it would be nice to have it all in one format without having to search for all the info piece by piece.

Unsupported rails.. Using the bearings in the stepper to carry loads... Single ply MDF with no angle reinforcements... Steppers not on proper stepper plates... God know what kind of leadscrews (threaded rod?)

This would be a great class for 2005. I think hobbyists today are far more sophisticated.

There is a book called "The CNC Cookbook" by Hess that's pretty decent at getting you through the basics. NOT to be confused with the web site that wants to charge you for formulas you can find online for free. Lots of help here just for the asking. It's really not too hard if you have the most basic of mechanical understanding.

And while SketchUp is great for modeling, the free version doesn't let you export files into something truly useful for machining. Unless all you want to do are relief carvings and 3D printing. I'd probably look at Fusion360. Which has CAM. And free for non-commercial use.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarpenter2 View Post
    I somewhat agree with you, because i would say you would be wanting a bigger stronger machine within a couple of weeks once the build was done. What i do like is how it gives you a step by step process of what it takes for a cnc machine to work. While it is true that you can glean a magnitude of information reading these threads, it would be nice to have it all in one format without having to search for all the info piece by piece.
    I don't have the time at the moment to review this specific class/program but will say this, there are alternatives. Once a year there is a CNC Workshop held that apparently does a good job. I don't have the specifics here but you can search online.

I have never attended one of these so I can't offer a lot of feedback but I can say this being around people from diverse backgrounds can lead to a better information take up. To put it simply everyone has a different knowledge set to work with. Put a bunch of people like this in one room and you are bound to learn something even if you have been around the industry for awhile.

If some of the comments in this thread are correct I would be very concerned about the quality of this program. I'm not at all against wood based machine construction but it is easy to make a crappy one and be out a lot of money. Building with wood requires good engineering just like any other material.

In any event it might help to tell us what you want to learn as frankly there is a lot to learn when it comes to acNC machining, machine building and CAD/CAM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Put a bunch of people like this in one room and you are bound to learn something even if you have been around the industry for awhile.
    I agree you can learn from anyone but the fact is its an online course and you will never meet anyone just plod along at your own pace following 10yr out of date build methods makes it as useful as a chocolate teapot!