587,996 active members*
5,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Compact Controller Box for Mini Mill Conversion.

Compact Controller Box for Mini Mill Conversion.

Hello all, my first post, well second if you include my welcome post. Anyway, I just thought I'd post some pics of my compact controller box build. This is my first CNC build so don't be too hard on me. The goal was to keep it compact so I can place a notebook computer on top to almost look like one unit. I am almost done with the box. I just need to wire the estop, limit switches, and spindle control. This will drive my HF mini mill w/ benchtop precision belt drive and cnc fuzion conversion kit which is 90% complete. No pics of that because I'm sure you are all sick of seeing a cnc fuzion mini mill.

Using USB smooth stepper w/ c25 break out and KL-4042d drivers. I've done a lot of research so hopefully, it all works when done. If not, I'll be bugging you all for help.

Re: Compact Controller Box for Mini Mill Conversion.

Very Nice!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Very nice work. But (there's always a but, isn't there...? :-) ) it may not be a good idea to have the metal plate right over the vents for the PSUs (?) in the middle.

Where did you get the case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks Bill

jbrewton, I got the case from a local electronics store here in CA called Orvac. I wish I could tell you the model number or manufacturer but I bought it so long ago. It's just a plain silver box that I had to cut and drill. I got the vent, connectors and fans from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Very nice work. But (there's always a but, isn't there...? :-) ) it may not be a good idea to have the metal plate right over the vents for the PSUs (?) in the middle.
    Now you have me thinking. There is about a 1/2" gap above them and the 2 60mm fans provide plenty of airflow. Also, the 5v psu and the 12v psu are just extras I had around. The 5v is rated at 2A and the 12v is rated at 1A. They will not be using anywhere near that. But, I will monitor temps while testing.

Heat was a concern with the small enclosure. I mounted the controllers to a thick plate that is bolted to the case. That, plus the two 60mm fans should keep things nice and cool. Like I said, it's my first box so we'll see how she does. If it gets too hot, I'll try a bigger box with bigger fans, or just swiss cheese this one.

aj289,

Great work, very clean. What do you have connected to the Ethernet (RJ45) sockets?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AverWorks View Post
    aj289,

Great work, very clean. What do you have connected to the Ethernet (RJ45) sockets?

Tim
    Thabk you. I'm in the process of wiring those up. I'm going to wire all my limit switches to one and my C6 spindle control to the other. The C6 has a RJ45 connection built in for the step, power and relays.

If your final CNC will look anything similar to this controller box than you are a magician. Your controller box looks simple, but amazingly nice. I also like your wiring, very neat and well organized. I wish I was as pedantic with my work, but I had to make so many modifications that in the end, it looked quite messy inside.

Please continue posting your work progress.

Quote Originally Posted by aj289 View Post
    Heat was a concern with the small enclosure.
    I was also concerned with the heat in my design, which is why I decided to install temperature meters on all motors and one of the controllers. In my design only one controller is boxed, the others are outside, so I don't feel I need to monitor. However, now after having used the CNC quite a lot, some times running for 2-3 hours non-stop, I can see that the enclosed controller is not getting warmer than about 30-32 C, and this in a room where the ambient temperature during this summer was about 28C many times. In other words, unless there is something wrong with your motors, I don't think heat will be a problem for your controllers. My motors can get as hot as 50-54C, but that is normal for steppers. Never the less, it feels good to be able to monitor the temperatures. I also monitor currents and voltages, both the main, and also the stepper and spindle motor plus a 12V. I also done what you have done, installed extra power supply, but in my case only a 12V, on the other hand, it is a powerful 7A supply. I was thinking of adding lights and was not sure if I will need extra fans, so there is a reserve for a lot of things. Currently I use it only for light and supply two powerful video LED panels from it, which I use for making movie clips and also to assist me when I am working with my CNC. I like light, lots of light, the more the better (to a limit).

Thanks for the kind words. I sure hope it all works because it's a lot of work haha. Here it is 100% wired up for limit switches and estop.

If you look closely, you can see the relay has changed from a single to a dual for the physical estop and for the software e-stop. I had to 3d print an adapter for that to fit easily. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150830_084247.jpg  

Hello all, I can't believe a year has passed since I last worked on my mill. Life gets in the way I guess. Anyway, I am happy to report that I have almost completed my mini mill conversion. All that's left is the limit switch setup. I've run it and tested it, all works as it should.

I still need to fine tune and align but the hard work is done. I've added the c6 board and an upgraded 12v supply (for c6 and fan) into the power supply box on the back of the mill and added some relays and a custom logic board (i/o and 12v-5v stup down) to the e-stop box on the side of the mill. Factory E-stop is wired in series with the external E-stop so I can use either one to power down if needed.

For wiring up the mill, it will need two ethernet cables and the four motor wires. One ethernet will be for the limit switches, the other carries 12v, gnd, spindle pulse, spindle enable, and inputs for the index pulse and e-stop status.

Attachment 332734 Attachment 332736

Attachment 332738 Attachment 332740

Attachment 332742 Attachment 332744

At first, I thought you used a compact computer case.

Looks good !!!

How does the size compare?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonKes View Post
    How does the size compare?
    Thanks Don. The box is a little bigger than my computer case at work but I don't think I could have fit all the components in this computer case. That old dell is an e1405 so the dimensions are: 1.5″ (H) x 13 ” (W) x 9.6″ (D). That may get you some scale. The box/computer combo is easy to move and setup. I have a single car garage so I don't have much room to work with. I've become very crafty with space savings.