587,529 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Power

What is a power rating of the Coolant power outlet on the PCNC770 machine. I would like to connect ShopVac for Dust collecting to the machine and be able to control it thru the PP controller. It seems like standard flood cooling pump for what it is designed has plenty of power but just want to be sure...

Thanks

Re: Coolant Power

It looks like the coolant outlet is fused at 7 amps when under computer control. See the last page in your manual. I just looked at my shop vac and it is rated at 12 amps. I'm going to say that switching under computer control is not a good idea without adding an external relay to switch the shop vac.

A typical coolant pump is on the order of 1/8HP. A typical shop vac is on the order of 1HP or more. So, if you assume the relay (or SSR) and/or fusing built into the machine are sized for a coolant pump, then plugging in a shop vac will likely have undesirable results.

However, all you need is a 120V relay. Wire that to the coolant pump output on the machine. When the machine activates the coolant pump relay, that new relay will be activated, and can turn on the shop vac, drawing power from separate wall outlet.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Understood...

Thanks

You might want to think about electrical noise (EMI) when running the shop vac while the mill is operating.

Terry

Tormach discusses all of this in a blog post they did a few years ago. I just came across it this week: https://www.tormach.com/blog/not-jus...liary-devices/
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360