I want to make my vise perfectly center or straight on my table. I use a square, but when I check for straightness it is off a bit on my dial indicator.

When running a dial indicator over my vise, and only using the left to right axis, I have run out.

So then I try and have no run out by running the idicator over my vise and tapping it slightly. The problem with doing this is it takes forever to get it to have acceptable run out.

So I thought I would take a measurement on the left side of the vise, and then move the indicator to the right side and make it the same measurement on my dial indicator.
Well that didn't work because when I went back to the other side I had a diffierent measurement.

Seems like when I tap a corner of a vise to move it the whole vise moves.

I then spend another 15-20 minutes of tapping the vise and moving from left to right like 50 times trying to get acceptable runout on the indicator and I finally get it after a while.

Does anyone know an easy way to use a dial / test indicator on a vise to get it to be straight? Simply running the test indicator from left to right and lightly tapping the vise takes ages to get it straight.