587,896 active members*
3,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

busybee/craftex help.

i dont own any lathe yet, but im still looking. i have some rather noobie questions.

1st, gear head vs belt. whats the difference pros, cons.

2nd if i got a 12''x37'' could you still do very small parts on it? or because its a bigger machine its harder to do?

whats busybees craftex reputation? great out of the box?

thanks
    Michael

Hi Michael,
    I'm a big fan of BusyBee / Craftex.
    I Have a 7x8 mini lathe by craftex, it has all metal gears and a camlock tailstock.The only modification I've done to it has been to replace the cross slide gibb with brass. Ive pushed it way harder than these little machines ever should be pushed and it's always pulled through turning, drilling , tapping SS and bronze.
    I also have a 10x18 B2227L, it was exellent right out of the box and for me changing spindle speeds is much more important than a gearbox for threading,
    The 10x18 also has all metal gears and is a real work horse.
    In my shop I have a Taig lathe, 7x8 Craftex, 10x18 Craftex, Taig CNC mill
    and very soon a new Craftex mill.
    Mark

Michael,
    I have an old Atlas 10 x 54 and can still do very small items on it. Where the problem for size is holding the work piece. Most 3 jaw chucks only go down to a certain size and then you have to use a collet or something to hold the work.
    Gear head or belt is up to you. Gear head is easier for changing speeds as you use a lever, with a belt you change to a different pully. Mine is belt and one part I like is if I hog into the work piece to hard the belt will slip with out breaking to much. I believe with the gear head something usually breaks like a shear pin.
    Somebody else will chip in also on this.
    John

as for gear head vs belt?
    I do alot of repetetive work. Drilling,tapping,facing turning and parting.
    all require different speeds which I can change with the with the flick of a wrist on a gear head.The variable speed on the 7x8 is also very handy. So no belt drive for me.
    Mark
    http://microtools.ca

Smile craftex

for the price craftex lathes are good machines,
    belt has less noise than gears
    it takes more time to change the belts than the gears
    by smaller parts what you mean, if you can hold the part into chuck it does not matter how big or small it is. I have machined parts from Dia 0.062" to over 6" and more in diameters. it is a very good size of lathe to get and very common one.
    before buying make sure that you have the electric requirements,(220v and the required phases of electric power) and also make sure that you get all the required accessories when you buy the machine, if you need help with selection let me know.
    so at the end if you want to do production I suggest gear lathe but if you do prototypes and noise could be a problem then go with belt driven. it is just a bit hassle to change the belts otherwise it works fine.

hows king for there lathes?
    is this one anygood?
    http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?ID=2369

im trying to buy local, my neighbors uncle has a lathe that was used twice for 850$ and im almost thinking its this lathe.

Whereabouts is local for you???

I have the busy bee 10x 18. its my first lathe but it does everything i tell it too, and it will hold up to the abuse i put it through. when you say small parts, it will do any range of diameters, but if you are going to try to use something like a live center on a short piece, it does get a little hard since all the slides are so bulky... i will post a pic later of what im talking about...

hey Dragons fire im in ontario i see your Alberta

not sure what a live center is? is that boring out the middle? (im a newby )

the live center supports the loose end of the work... i will post pick later... i just got my 4-jaw and i think its missing pieces, so i will post the picks later

okay
    hope all goes well with the 4jaw

i appears that even though they say it is means specifically for that lathe, it doesnt match up and the adapter plate is another $50... here is a pic of what i was talking about with the short stock, its about 2" long and 1/4" dia... its not the best pic, but you can see that a bunch of big lathe parts dont fit together very well to turn small parts... i should also mention that i was not actually turning that piece, because it is just sitting in the chuck....

and this last one is how i converted it into a "milling machine"...