587,852 active members*
3,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question First timer X2 conversion

So a friend and I are designing a new backpack and decided that we should upgrade our Cummins Mini Mill and Lathe over to CNC. I have obviously been to most of the conversion sites (KDN, FigNoggle, StirlingSteele, CNC Fusion, etc.) along with many sites covering drivers and motors for the project and believe that I have come to some reasonable conclusions on the projects but just wanted to ask some veterans on their thoughts.

So, is there any great performance differences between these X2 conversion kits, any to avoid or to spring for in particular? Have people found that building from plans is the best way to go or do you save yourself a lot of headaches by just splurging on the kit? Is there any point in going over 425oz.in. with the stepper motor for an X2 conversion or would that be overkill? Are ballscrew upgrades worth the money? What driver should I use?

I realize that a lot of info has been posted here and as a newbie I have been reading through a lot but I just was hoping for somewhat definitive answers before I endeavor on these conversions. Thanks for all of your help.

being a newcomer i would probably go for a kit, like the cncfusion kit. I plan on converting my own x2 mill (when i get some money). but i engineered my own mounts, ballscrews, ect. it was fun and i am learning a lot from it.

yes ballscrews are a must! if u want any kind of accuracy that is. Id go for the preloaded ballnuts (a bit more expensive but worth the accuracy), they just put larger balls in the nut to remove some clearance.

i plan on going with steppers in the 250 oz in range, 425 is a bit overkill on a small mill like this, and speed/torque will be affected at higher speeds (a smaller motor will be faster, but not as strong, and vice versa). I might use a 425 on the z axis, just because of all the mass it has to move.

Thanks for the good info, definitely appreciated. What driver do you plan on using, I was told Xylotex has a good one. Also, do you plan on running a DRO on your machine, and is it worth having?
    Chris

i might use the xylotex driver, it is cheaper and im on a tight budget. i already have a DRO installed on my mill, i would be lost without it!!! but if u dont have one already and u cnc your mill u won't need one. i might remove mine and sell it once i cnc my mill or just leave it on.

The combination of cncfusion and xylotex will get you up and running in a hurry. If you're eager to get on to some cnc work, this combination is a fair trade on the price/convenience scale imho.

My xylotex kit is the complete setup with a driver box and pp cable. Note if you plan to use a breakout board you won't be able to use this nice box exactly as designed. Still worth the extra $ imo. I went with the 425's but the 269's may well be a better choice for a mini-mill.

My cncfusion kit is only x-y axis. The kit is well built and good value for the money. Syil and kdn are other options if the extra cash is not an obstacle. The builder says "most users find backlash with preloaded ballnuts to be .003 or less". My kit might be non-typical, as the backlash is around .001 on x and less than that on y. I wasn't really excited about the design of the z axis and am in the process of building one based on the Steele design. This is where the question of time comes in. Gathering everything necessary to build the z is becoming a big time eater. This will depend on what tools and materials are handy, being in a remote area this is turning out to be a lengthy and non-to-cheap undertaking. My advice, in interests of time, would be the x-y-z kit and then sell off anything you decide not to use.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

That sounds like the direction I would like to head in with my X2. I'm thinking about ordering the X and Y kit with ballnuts for starters along with the Xylotex 3 axis kit. I would really like a belt drive for my Z, which I might just order from Steele to get things moving faster.

I am also looking at a X2 mill cnc upgrade, has anyone any experience of the keiling 3 axis kit?