587,608 active members*
3,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BP Series1,Boss 5 Questions

I have a Boss 5 that came from tech school thats never cut metal, maybe a little plastic-machine is in nice shape. Power cabinet was labled 230v but was wired 460v so I've rewired to 230v, running off 5hp rpc,phases balanced. The spindle turns forward and reverse but havn't been able to get any axis to move in set- up. The steppers have power when I reset travel limit,control panel seeems to reset when I flip switch in tape drive cabinet, relay cr1 is pulled in, 24v pwer supply readings good,T2,T1 okay also. I did find Fu4 fuse blown when I powered up first time.Control panel indicator lights on for N,S,F,T, X axis and ABS after cycling power. My plan was to go with Hillbilly Bob board and Mach 3 but I'm not sure what has to be good before going that route. I'm electrically challenged and new to cnc,ran manual machines except for Prototrax for 20 yrs. Am I missing something obvious when I try to jog or step axis or do I have control problem (other than prostate).Thanks for any help.

When you reset the control, does the display show a number, all zeros, or stay blank?
    This is a open loop control. It will count and send pulses to the stepping motors without expecting a confirmation from encoders. It defaults to the X axis. So if you press the red switch or push it if you are in limits and hold it the drives should turn on and in setup_jog_continuous_+/- tou shuld effect the numbers changing and the table moving.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Display resets to all zeroes,N,F,S,T,X axis,ABS lights are on. Checked the overtravel reset (red button) again today, light doesn't come on when I power up machine but when I push the button all stepper motors get power and won't move,trip travel limit switch they lose power. I just thought bulb on push button was bad earlier but swapped out today-bulb is good but not coming on. Nothing happens in step or jog ,pressing y or z on key.pad doesn't change axis

Looking through old threads (for days) have found "Mr Custom" had posted the exact same problems I have in March 2007. He was able to fix with Hillbilly Bob board so that looks like my next step