587,129 active members*
3,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma MB-46VBE servo drive hums loudly

Okuma MB-46VBE servo drive hums loudly

I just purchased an Okuma MB-46VBE (Year:2005) with an OSP-P100M control. I wrote some very simply test programs and when the x and y axis's come to rest in the middle of their travels, the servo motors make a loud humming noise. I can push on the table and the Y servo motor will stop making noise and if I hand jog the X-axis the noise will stop.

It only seems to make the humming noise when stopped in the center of the travels. If the axis's are moving, it's quiet. Could it be a lack of lubrication or do I have a bigger problem?

One side note.. On power. I heard that servo drives are sensitive to dirty power. This Okuma came with a large detached transformer that was configured to take 480v and drop it down to 220v. I have a phase perfect that outputs 220v so I bypassed the transformer and wired the machine directly to the PP. Everything works as it should apart from the servo humming. I also have an Okuma lathe hooked to that PP and the servo's on the lathe are fine.

Would appreciate any insight or advice.

Thanks
    Matt

Re: Okuma MB-46VBE servo drive hums loudly

check the accuraccy ( and repeatability ) of linear positioning. check the leveling of the machine.