587,657 active members*
3,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Making a machine build easier?

I have posted this in the product announcement thread but thought I would bring it over here. Mods, if this violates the forum rules please remove all or part of it.

There have been several machines on here that have used Ahren's linear carriages and powertrain components in there build. I am sure that many of you have looked at his offerings. My question to the community is what would you like to see in the future? In other words, what can we offer to make your builds easier and better that we lack now? Some things that have been brought up include:

- Machined steel rails that are out of the box ready to be bolted on to 8020.
    - A fastener kit for the rails that would provide carriage bolts and lock nuts necessary to interface the rails with the extrusion.
    - A powertrain kit for one axis to go with Ahren's bearing blocks and motor mount. Kit would include a leadscrew cut to desired length, a section of drill rod cut to length, bearings for bearing blocks, shaft coupler, shaft collar, thrust washers, needle thrust bearings, and fasteners. Kit would be available with or without parts from CNCRouterParts and with or without a lovejoy coupler.
    - A Z-Axis kit that would include the necessary rail, powertrain kit, machined extrusion, and fasteners. Kit would be available w/ or without parts from CNCRouterParts.
    - A bolt together machine in kit form. Would include all necessary hardware and no machining would be required. The machine would utilize Ahren's parts for linear motion and power train. What size would you like to see? What capabilities would you like it to have?

Also, as a builder, what areas in the actual machine build (not electronics or software) had you hung up the most? In other words, what was the hardest thing to do?

Thank you for the input.

Nate L.

Nate,

To answer the last of your questions... the most difficult thing for me will be to achieve a precise mounting alignment with my reliance on the materials (8020) needing to be straight as delivered. I have no access to a mill with which to surface the extrusion for rail mounting for that extra bit of precision. My shop tooling is limited to woodworking with all the attendant machines...

Steve