587,997 active members*
1,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Will you quote to this RFQ?

Just wondering whether you will quote for the following terms.

1. First time customer, big global company with global procurement.
    2. The machining job dimensions can be said as difficult to achieve because the base material is titanium.
    3. There will be no advance payment for the project, the initial estimate of the project could be around 40 to 50K USD.
    4. Annual volume order with staggered draw throughout the year.
    5. payment- 60 days from sight of goods.

In short you should manufacture and deliver the goods to their door around half the globe away and get payment after that.

How many of you get these RFQ and how do you respond?

http://www.titanengg.com.sg
    Titan Engineering, Singapore. Titanium Metal & Alloy suppliers.

I would quote it providing payment terms that are not 100% biased to the purchaser.

Material supplied by who ?

Quite often Ti has a long supply lead time from date of order 10-20 weeks from the US.
    even if you are a supplier, there are standards and conformance requirements to be met

What other docunents have to be supplied with the finished part ?
    Import / export licences ( and other hidden hurdles )

Other processing required ? inspection etc

Quality standards to who's standard ? ( aerospace have their own, if the job is not done to these standards, then payment may be withheld )

Don't commit to a quote unless all conditions and their implications are fully understood

Quote Originally Posted by titan99 View Post
    Just wondering whether you will quote for the following terms.

1. First time customer, big global company with global procurement.
    2. The machining job dimensions can be said as difficult to achieve because the base material is titanium.
    3. There will be no advance payment for the project, the initial estimate of the project could be around 40 to 50K USD.
    4. Annual volume order with staggered draw throughout the year.
    5. payment- 60 days from sight of goods.

In short you should manufacture and deliver the goods to their door around half the globe away and get payment after that.

How many of you get these RFQ and how do you respond?
    http://www.titanengg.com.sg
    Though I do not deal in machine side of the industry, I posed your request to 3 machine shops that can mill titanium and I have dealt with and know personally and each of them said there was no way they would even go through the effort to even quote based on the terms you have laid out. You might get a one off sample that the rest of the shipment would be equal to in quality with a 50% down and the final due 15 day net. Even long term customers are held to a deposit and 30 day net, first time customers with no track record was a major obstacle even if the total project was worth 10x the stated amount. The mill shops I talked to are in the Aeorspace and Medical industries.

I really don't know why I was compelled to ask them, more out of curiosity I guess. I do know on my side of the industry I only deal with 50% up front and the final due on receipt of the finished product. That is within the US, I am not sure how I would handle an out of country procurement of product and services.
    Architectural - Prototype - Modeling - Mold / FrogMill - ScanTech 3D Laser - ArtCam Pro
    Foam - Composites - Hardwood (www.dragonxtreme.com)