Fairly new to this, done some searching and reading, looking for alittle info. Picked up a CNC mill with the Anilam controls on it. Stepper motors with glass scales. It has a few small issues but overall works well. I would like to convert it to Mach 3, replace the display with a touchscreen setup and add a 4th axis. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that I can keep the stepper motors, the stepper driver boards, and the glass scale feedback portions. Just replace the Anilam controls and processor with a PC running Mach 3, parallel port breakout card, and a touch screen monitor. Then add the 4th axis after this is accomplished.

My main concern is related to re-using the existing stepper motors and glass scales. Would any of this need to change? I believe this setup works as a closed loop feedback and it's not as if there is no feedback and a stepper motor could slip a step and not know?

If anyone has any suggestions for specific parts needed or websites to buy from it would be appreciated.