587,997 active members*
2,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Am I forgetting anything in a VMC retrofit.

Am I forgetting anything in a VMC retrofit.

I have the opportunity to refit a Hurco MB1 to use here at my house.

I know that the machine is missing some encoders, which I have already located for the stock motors. I do know the controller is pretty well shot for the conversational NC that is built in.

What I'm thinking is since the axis motors that are on it are 12A motors, that I can use Gecko 340s in conjunction with a C11G and Mach3 (Maybe EMC2, but not sure). Also the existing spindle is already powered by an aftermarket VFD. I know I would need to locate a power supply that is big enough to run the motors. But other than that, is there anything else I would need to convert this VMC to an operable Mach3, Gecko'ed VMC? I feel like I am missing something here.

The machine is slightly bigger than a large series 2 Bridgeport cnc, weighs about 5200 pounds and runs on linear slides. Mechanically, it appears to be sound. The ATC on it wouldn't be used unless I can figure out a way to retrofit it as well with the new controller and a drive system. (Or make a new one)

General Idea

cjdavis,

You pretty much got the general idea, at least for the given Gecko 320 path you suggest.

EMC2 can definitely play nice with g320/340's, but some EMC purist would argue your missing the big advantage to EMC, closed loop back to the controller. The g320/340's need the feedback themselves in order to run, 'closing' the loop at the amp.

You may be able to use a lot of the existing power supply to build the power supply you need for the g320/340s. The PS components should already be suitably sized for the given motors. You may however want to double and triple check the voltage that the existing motors originally ran on. Are the servos direct drive or geared down? For that size of mill I wouldn't be surprised if you have 100+ Vdc motors. If so, you may find the g320s a little undersized for the task.

Share some pics and you may attract more attention and contributions?