587,357 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A Coupla Nice Products....

While perusing the various forums the last few days, I've stumbled across a couple of VERY nice products and vendors I hadn't heard of before, and thought others might be interested.

First is Vista CNC (http://www.vistacnc.com/index.htm), which has a couple of REALLY nice, very inexpensive pendants. I've just ordered one of their "Pro" pendants, and they're even building me one with a different connector, to suit an existing cutout in my panel. There's a tremendous amount of functionality in there.

Second is Glacern (http://www.glacern.com), who manufactures some absolutely beautiful, very high quality milling vises, and tool holders, at excellent prices. They're currently selling their "Standard" 6" vise at $100 off, and their "Premium" 6" vise at $125 off. The specs on these things are at least as good as a Kurt, for a whole lot less money. They seem to be a real class act, as far as quality. I'm really torn between which one to buy....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    While perusing the various forums the last few days, I've stumbled across a couple of VERY nice products and vendors I hadn't heard of before, and thought others might be interested.

First is Vista CNC (http://www.vistacnc.com/index.htm), which has a couple of REALLY nice, very inexpensive pendants. I've just ordered one of their "Pro" pendants, and they're even building me one with a different connector, to suit an existing cutout in my panel. There's a tremendous amount of functionality in there.

Second is Glacern (http://www.glacern.com), who manufactures some absolutely beautiful, very high quality milling vises, and tool holders, at excellent prices. They're currently selling their "Standard" 6" vise at $100 off, and their "Premium" 6" vise at $125 off. The specs on these things are at least as good as a Kurt, for a whole lot less money. They seem to be a real class act, as far as quality. I'm really torn between which one to buy....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Nice looking vises, too bad they don't make something to compete with the Kurt 4" single, which is crazy expensive...

Nice looking vises, too bad they don't make something to compete with the Kurt 4" single, which is crazy expensive...
    They do have a 4" double vise for $700...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    They do have a 4" double vise for $700...

Mike
    Yup, I saw, but a 50 lb vise is a little much for me. I'd get the Kurt, but it costs more than most of their 6" vises, and I don't really like the looks of a lot of the imports.

Yeah, it was just a thought. I haven't browsed Ebay lately but you might find a Kurt bargain there if you are persistent.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by escott76 View Post
    Ray mentioned this to me as well. Which machines would these be popular with? I'm guessing the X2, X3, and similarly sized mills?

We could definitely shrink our GSV-690 into a 4" wide model. We'd shoot for a 35-40 lb weight (compared to 80 lbs on our 6" models), and of course, an appealing price, proportional to that of the GSV.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacern View Post
    Ray mentioned this to me as well. Which machines would these be popular with? I'm guessing the X2, X3, and similarly sized mills?

We could definitely shrink our GSV-690 into a 4" wide model. We'd shoot for a 35-40 lb weight (compared to 80 lbs on our 6" models), and of course, an appealing price, proportional to that of the GSV.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking about. A high quality, precision vise available in this size would be awesome for the discerning benchtop machine user. Personally I have a homebuilt, I'd say most similar size wise to an X2. Jaw opening is important, but as long as you have the changeable jaw positions, they you have the ability to add soft jaws as well, which is another requirement that the imports don't serve super well. I've become spoiled at work with soft jaws, it make things so much easier. That weight seems about perfect. Let us know when they are available

Quote Originally Posted by escott76 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm thinking about. A high quality, precision vise available in this size would be awesome for the discerning benchtop machine user. Personally I have a homebuilt, I'd say most similar size wise to an X2. Jaw opening is important, but as long as you have the changeable jaw positions, they you have the ability to add soft jaws as well, which is another requirement that the imports don't serve super well. I've become spoiled at work with soft jaws, it make things so much easier. That weight seems about perfect. Let us know when they are available
    And if it's half as nice as the 6", it'll be a thing of beauty. I got my 6-inch "Premium" vise yesterday (a whole two days after I ordered it!), and it's almost too nice to use! The workmanship is superb, and it is well under spec in terms of parallism, perpendicularity and flatness, and lift is virtually non-existant (less than 0.0005"), even when you really crank on it. The ground surfaces are an almost mirror finish. I'm gonna be REALLY T'd off the first time I run a tool into it! :-)

Regards,
    Ray L.