587,659 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Motor Id help!

I have recently obtained a servo motor with encoder with very little information.

the label reads:

MCG Part # 001623-0406

it has 3 wires Its brushless I assume 3phase/Sinusoidal wires are black, red, white

encoder has like 12 wires and a ground shield bare wire lead.

also what would drive this bad boy???

believe it or not it came from a Treadmill! must have been a serious treadmill!.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

anyone? :stickpoke
    thanks
    Michael T.

It's your avatar...it's scaring everyone away.

...I am sorry I can't help with your motor problem - I just wanted to poke at your avatar!
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

How's that is it more freindly... hulks a freindly guy too. but I did need a change.
    thanks
    Michael T.

oh-kay...yeah, sure - that's much better...thanks.
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I was intrigued by a servo motor coming off a treadmill. So I googled treadmill and here is a quote from one page I found:

"Motorized treadmills for home use cost from $750-$5000"

I should 5 grand would buy a serious treadmill.

Taking this a bit further though if you can get info on your motor and figure out how run it this could be a good source for hobbyiests.

3500.oo is what a used commercial refurbished treadmill runs. A new one (commercial) can run as high as 6500.00 for a good one.

The treadmill this motor came from, cost in excess of 14,000.00 dollars. Thats why it can afford to have a servo motor for the drive.

Be willing to bet this motor new is worth 2-3k. The thing messures about 11" x 5" x 5" an weights 25-30lbs
    thanks
    Michael T.

That isn't one of their standard part numbers. 12 wire encoder would include 6 for differential output on quad channel a,b, and index. Then power and ground get you up to 8. Halls might be 5 wires.

Most of the MCG motors I've seen have halls built in, with the intention that the customer adds an encoder. Are you sure all 12 wires are coming from the encoder? Are there markings on the encoder? All the encoders I have seen on MCG motors so far have been renco.

link

That might be a holdover part number from the time when they were QMC. There used to be a cross listing somewhere on their site, but I can't find it. Perhaps you should call or email them and ask for the info. I've found that if you get an answer from one of these companies, they are usually quite helpful

People like MCG and CMC etc supply motors to OEM's and these motors, although being a standard part, often have 'in house' part numbers on them.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

With the QMC motors I have, I ended up going on MCG's site and looking through their data sheets until I found a motor that matched. It wasn't all that hard, although I prefer the certainty of a part number match.

If it weren't for Al the Man, I'd feel like I'm talking to myself.

Check out this PDF file
    Looks like it will take 160V to drive that motor at it's max rated speed of 4000 rpm. AMC, Rutex or Copley as well as plenty of others have drives that will drive it.

AMC BE40A20 should fit. Analog control though.
    Al.

Albert E.

Exclamation

These are pictures of the motor notice the plate and the new location of the power wires. This is a modification from your spec sheet. The motor is also bigger than the spec sheet has. could you give me the home page of the manufacturer?

and even though you cant see them I did mis-count the first time there are actually 14 wires counting the uncoated ground wire coming out of the encoder area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails treadmill servo1.JPG   treadmill servo2.JPG   treadmill servo3.JPG  
    thanks
    Michael T.

unterhaus why do you think this is the motors specs? were the part numbers similar?

the physical dimensions were off a bit, Not by much but still.....

thanks.
    thanks
    Michael T.

I have an Allen Bradley servo motor that someone gave me at work. I am not sure of its condition, and can't find out much information on it, short of a few specs.. it's a y-series, and it has an encoder (i took the cap off to see) and has a couple long cables coming out from it with 15/4 connectors.I assume one is for the encoder and the other for the motor. how can i find out if it's any good without a drive to run it with? The bearings seem to be solid.
    what i found out so far:
    230V,
    1.35N-m,
    4500 rpm,
    cat. no: y-2012-2-h00aa series: B
    part no.:ep0brxkg

The manual is on the AB site http://mms.rockwellautomation.com/id...n518_-en-p.pdf
    Why did he give it to you :frown:
    To test the various encoder and hall outputs can be done with a 'scope, or a meter to some extent if you manually turn the motor very slowly.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by pcroxford
    I have an Allen Bradley servo motor that someone gave me at work.
    cat. no: y-2012-2-h00aa series: B
    That's a standard motor and the manual for it is on the AB web site. Here is the manual
    I find that if I measure the winding resistance and all three are equal, it's probably a good motor.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    unterhaus why do you think this is the motors specs? were the part numbers similar?
    I was just guessing. That is an interesting looking motor. It appears that other variations come with mil-spec connectors. It appears to me that you can take off the two screws on the back and id the encoder, which is all you need in addition to the id of which winding is which. If you can't positively id the winding orientation, you can spin the motor and use the back emf to figure it out. AMC has an app note on how to do that.

MCG website is here

do you think that this motor would make a viable alternative to a stepper for a j-gro style gantry mill?

I took the encoder plate off and found some info. Not enough but some.

pin1 +V
    pin2 com
    pin3 U
    pin4 V
    pin5 W
    pin6 N/C
    pin7 A
    Pin8 B
    pin9 N/C
    Drain Cable shield

s/n 031209046 model #: 3049A200-1000-8

Qphase Quantum Devices

it only list those 10 pins but has these colored wires coming out of it.

Shield blue green yellow red black orange purple grey white(may be a faint purple/grey stripe) yellow/white red/white orange/white Brown/white Black/white

thats 15 total counting the shield.

Help me I am sinking! hehe

realy though my guess from a newbie point of view is that the striped wires somehow realate to the matching solid wire. Like A and A return ect... although brown/white has no matching brown wire.

Am I close?

I also openend the flat plate and other than showing the wires going to the windings it was uneventfull.
    thanks
    Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    I took the encoder plate off and found some info. Not enough but some.
    Are you saying that you can't match the pin numbers to the wires? If you can, that is all the info you need other than the resolution. U,V,W are the commutation tracks (hall equivalent) and a and b are the quadrature signal. Apparently there is no index line. The signals you listed are single ended, not differential. The only problem is matching U,V, and W up to the proper motor phases.

I see you're concerned about the extra wires. Find a control, and see if it takes differential encoder inputs. If it does, then worry about it. You may be able to inspect the encoder circuit board to determine if it is differential outputs. Now that you know where power and ground go, you can hook them up and see what the encoder does when you spin it. You can hook up a voltmeter.

If you are buying new, Rutex will drive this, AMC has some good options, and there are tons of others.

Page 1 of 2 12