587,704 active members*
3,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Serial port blown by lighting fanuc 10T

Serial port blown by lighting fanuc 10T

Hi,

I have a Leblond Makino, Baron 25 with Fanuc 10T and last night there was a lighting that hit really near and blew the serial port of the machine, in fact it blew also the serial port of another cnc lathe, a Traub TX8 (mitsubishi control) along with the power supply of 5 computers.
    What I need if someone can help me is the schematics of the serial port to find out which integrated circuit to change and if possible also the same information for a Mitsubishi Meldas TL type UL63

Thank you so much for your help

Jolulank

I forgot to mention that I have been using the serial port almost dialy for over 4 years and never before had any trouble and now when I am trying to send or receive I do get the DATA SET READY DOWN error message.

Settings

COM1
    2400 baud rate
    7 bits data
    parity even
    1 bit stop
    Xon/Xoff

Thanks again

Jolulank

The older RS232 IC's that were often used were 1488 & 1489, If you trace the RS232 in/out from the Honda plug, it should lead you to the IC, Older Mits used a different set up, but the reverse engineering method should work also.
    I can't recall the IC's used but they are common enough to obtain.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

hi

for what i know both machines has a second port cause no machine come with 1 port it has minimum 2 pralel ports so try to change for the other

on meldas i know for sure cause i chnged once on 1 machine for the second portand fanuc should have also.

GOOD LUCK!

My last 10t had a RS232 on the side of the control along with a second port but it was the 20pin Honda connector on the main board that Al had mentioned. You will have to wire from a Honda connector to a RS232. I did this when I set up the central wiring to all the CNC machines in the shop. I should still have the pinout somewhere. I will try to locate it if you want to get back up and running quickly.

Al….I have never actually had a port blow before or fixed one that was broken (other than rewiring). What do you actually have to do, replace chips?

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    Al….I have never actually had a port blow before or fixed one that was broken (other than rewiring). What do you actually have to do, replace chips?

Stevo
    Most of the older IC are still available from DigiKey or Newark.
    The prefix may be different but the substitute will have 1488 etc in the number.
    The tricky part is de-soldering the old IC, I use a solder sucker, often it is best to snip all the pins and then desolder individual pins, I always solder an IC socket in, this way in future you can just pop the old one out and insert the new one.
    Al.

Albert E.

We had the same problem, but the numbers on the chips were SN75188N and SN75189AN. We got them from Mouser. Also the lightning affected the PC serial, so we switched to the other serial port on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBoyce View Post
    We had the same problem, but the numbers on the chips were SN75188N and SN75189AN.
    Yes, just a variation in manufacturers # for the equivalent to 1488/89, which I believe was a Motorola IC.
    I believe it helps to source the supply to the PC you are using from a 120vac outlet on the machine, often problems such as this come about from a different ground system, especially where the machine sets up its secondary ground system for the control circuit.
    In theory they should both be at the same potential but voltage difference can occur, which is exaggerated when thunder storms happen.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thank you all for the quick help. I sure got good pointers to follow. I actually have changed the chips on another machine and had to do the reverse engineering as Al suggested, so I am confident to fix the problem with all your help.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted

Thanks for the chip numbers Steve

Thanks for the chip numbers Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jolulank View Post
    Thanks for the chip numbers Steve
    Wow I don't even have to be here and Im helping out.

Wow I don't even have to be here and Im helping out.
    You didn't even see my lips move.
    Al.

Albert E.

My last 10t had a RS232 on the side of the control along with a second port but it was the 20pin Honda connector on the main board that Al had mentioned. You will have to wire from a Honda connector to a RS232. I did this when I set up the central wiring to all the CNC machines in the shop. I should still have the pinout somewhere. I will try to locate it if you want to get back up and running quickly.

Stevo
    Stevo,

I definitely want the pinout if you can find it.
    Thanks

Jolulank

If you want to send me an email add via PM, I can send the Fanuc RS232 manual for the 10.
    Al.

Albert E.

Jolulank….I think this is the pinout that I used on the Honda connector. It also may be covered in the RS232 manual that Al has offered. This was many years ago but I think this was the way I had done it. If it does not work let me know and I will swing by my old shop and write down the pinout. I also attached another document on the 10t that may be useful. Again probably everything that is covered in the manual.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    You didn't even see my lips move.
    Al.
    LMAO!!
    And for my next trick…….
    (nuts)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Stevo,

The Fanuc is up an running, and now the Mitsubishi.

Thanks for all the help

jolulank

Jolulank….I think this is the pinout that I used on the Honda connector. It also may be covered in the RS232 manual that Al has offered. This was many years ago but I think this was the way I had done it. If it does not work let me know and I will swing by my old shop and write down the pinout. I also attached another document on the 10t that may be useful. Again probably everything that is covered in the manual.

Stevo

LMAO!!
    And for my next trick…….
    (nuts)

your welcome.

Stevo