588,285 active members*
4,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please help! Sherline EMC troubles

Sorry I hope this where i'm suppose to post this question. I recently purchased a sherline mill running EMC and I am having a hell of time trying to work out bugs. I was wondering if anybody here knows or can point me in the right direction of someone who knows how to update from EMC to EMC2. I've been told convert to mach3 but I wouldn't even know where to start there. Please help me I only have a few hairs on my head!

Just download the liveCD from the linuxCNC site. BTW EMC is no longer called EMC, it is now LinuxCNC. The liveCD can be found at this link.

Installing LinuxCNC

Download it and give it a try running it from the CD. If it does what you need, you only have to re-boot and choose the install option. You will have to set up the stepper configuration, so you should make note of the current settings.

If you really just want to upgrade, the directions are also on the LinuxCNC site

Thank you will try this weekend and let you know how it goes. One more where would I find the setting for the stepper motors?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelshark View Post
    Thank you will try this weekend and let you know how it goes. One more where would I find the setting for the stepper motors?
    On your existing machine, run the "stepper configuration wizard" and write down all the info on all the pages.

Hi,
    I would recommend to start with Live cd and then update to 2.5 (as i did this weekend )
    The reason i moved to Linuxcnc is because i can not afford the millers any more which cost me using (2 ) xp based machines Win-NC PC and mach3
    So after a short learning curve you will simply mill ,..
    i was fight this weekend with an autmatic toolchanger but it was is mecanically
    cu thomas

The current live CD is 2.5. Why would he start at a non- current version and then upgrade when he can download a current version from the start.

you are right

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    The current live CD is 2.5. Why would he start at a non- current version and then upgrade when he can download a current version from the start.
    I was starting with an existing emc installation so my bad i did not look up the new live cd
    thx
    thomas

I feel realy dumb but i cant find the stepper motor config wizard. Sorry I've never dealt with Linux

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2YQVG0kdQ]emc emc2 configuration wizard - YouTube[/ame]
    "If you have great talents, industry will improve them; if you have but moderate abilities, industry will supply their deficiency." *Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723 - 1792)

I have Debian running EMC how do i find my stepper motor configurations? I think that video is for after i install EMC2/ LinuxCNC

I think?

http://www.sherline.com/emc/ini.html
    The location of the files is stated in the above link.
    "If you have great talents, industry will improve them; if you have but moderate abilities, industry will supply their deficiency." *Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723 - 1792)

Quote Originally Posted by Angelshark View Post
    I feel realy dumb but i cant find the stepper motor config wizard. Sorry I've never dealt with Linux
    Your version is too old, it doesn't have that. If it is really old (EMC as you say)
    it doesn't even have the HAL files, everything is in a file which may be called
    sherline.ini, see if you can find that file and print it or copy it out to a USB stick,
    whatever you need to save it.

if you really are using the old EMC (1), your computer probably cannot handle
    the newer OS (memory, CPU speed, graphics card, etc.) so you'll probably need
    to upgrade all that to move to LinuxCNC. But, there's a LOT of great new
    features and improved performance.

There actually should be sample Sherline configs that already have all
    the speed/accel settings for typical Sherline machines.

A much better place to ask questions is on the forum at LinuxCNC.org, where
    about a thousand users and the developers hang out.

Jon

Thank you very much Jon this is a big Help!