587,262 active members*
3,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > first timer...advice needed

first timer...advice needed

I realize for my first time mill/CNC I should do things as simply and easily as possible since I will be on a steep learning curve, that being said...

I am going to get an LMS 3900 / SX2 (X2 with brushless motor) that will be converted to CNC for making Mobo heat sinks, waterblocks and various other metal projects as experience and knowledge increase.

I have been looking at what Hoss (and others) have done with X2 conversions. I am strongly considering copying/buying what he has done but their will probably be some differences between the X2 and SX2.

The question is
    Should I buy the mill and do conversion or buy the mill and buy a conversion kit from a supplier?
    Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    Richard

I will not be using belt drives (except for motor to spindle drive) their something to fail too easily ie...swarf cuts, tension and wear (and I cant make a belt on my mill) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sabastion View Post
    I realize for my first time mill/CNC I should do things as simply and easily as possible since I will be on a steep learning curve, that being said...
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think that you have answered your own question in the first sentence.

A conversion kit will let you get up and running reasonably quickly. You will be spending more of your time learning CAD and CAM, and less of your time futzing with the details of designing and building the pieces needed to convert the mill to CNC.

Doing a DIY conversion will teach you a lot about the conversion process, but you will spend a lot more time and effort doing the conversion before you are ready to cut the first chips under CNC control. The advantage to that approach, though, is that you may be able to get some good machining experience using your mill manually to create motor mounts, ballscrew and bearing mounts, and the like. In addition, you may actually end up with a better conversion than if you used a kit (for example, while many people use the CNCFusion kits to convert their mills, some people prefer a DIY approach to the Z-axis conversion over the CNCFusion approach to that axis).