587,394 active members*
3,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Looking for ER40 collet drawings

Hi all,

I'm making a new spindle for my upcoming machine and I want to use ER40 collets. I've found some CAD-files, but they are simplified and doesn't give me the outside angle of the collet. Please help me with a link or file of a collet or even better the chuck, any CAD or solid part will do.
    There are also two different standards that could help me, DIN6499 or DIN6343.

For you who think "What the heck is an ER40?", this is:

Cheers,
    Sven

Hi Sven,

I couldn't find any info online, so I went out and measured one. I believe the half angle is exactly 8 degrees (16 degrees included angle across the entire collet). I did this measurement with the rise of the dial guage (.1405" to .141") in 1" of longitudinal travel, so I'm quite certain this would be accurate.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks a lot Hu, great help!

It seems to be correct, my brother just called me and said that he found the ISO40 standard dimensions, which is equivalent to ER40, with both collet and spindle dimensions with all tolerances included, problem solved!

Cheers,
    Sven

Sven,
    Would you post them here or a link where these specs can be found.

Thanks
    Ken

I will, big bro will copy them for me so within a couple of days I'll have them.

I think I'll have them all (10, 20, 30 etc) so even if you're interested in smaller collets I hopefully will have the standards. He found all the ISO specs in his old book "Swedish Mechanical Standards" published during the 60's, those were the happy days when the big industries manufactured their own spindles...

Cheerio,
    Sven

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We had a discussion earlier today about having the collet directly in the spindle, which was my idea to keep it simple and cheap.
    There's no problem making a spindle for that, the most expensive task would be the fine grinding of the cone (the Ra-value is very low). But the problem would be hardening and steel quality, wear of the cone surface will make the collet to "ride". I can by a brand new ISO40 or SK40 chuck for less than 100USD and then I'll have everything I need (hardening and grinding done, fastener, release tool etc.) and the chuck cone in the spindle doesn't need the perfectness as the collet cone. Also, if something breaks the spindle won't be damaged and I can decide later to change the tool holder if needed, when I buy an High speed-gearbox.

I just found a bunch of chucks at eBay for very nice prices, and it doesn't really matter which cone to use as long as there are collets to buy.
    For you guys interested in making a spindle with a collet chuck there's a simple way to make perfect matching cones. Buy a spindle, set it up in a lathe and fine tune it to the centre, press the tool holder aginst the cone and voilá - you've got your cone angle.

Anyway, within a couple of days I have the standards in my snail-mailbox and I'll publish them as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Sven

Id like to see that for an ER-16 system.. Iv found for 25 through 50 (see attached ziped .dwg file).
    Attached Files Attached Files

I haven't got the drawings yet, I just called to my brother and reminded him to put them in the mail box...
    But they will come, promise.

--Sven

Hey,

I made a ER40 collet chuck. I got the dimensions for the collets from a Vertex catalogue. Yes, the angle on the rear of the collet is 8° and the front angle is 30°.

and this is my bodge autocad dwg file of the chuck part, I actually made the nut from my head, so no drawing... But it is basically a bronze bearing pressed into the front, with a 30deg taper on it bearing on the collet. http://rxturbo.spymac.net/metalwork/...huck_MT3_2.dwg

Regards

Ben

Thanks RXTurbo!
    Which standard for the chuck do you use? BT, ISO or just a home made cone?

Cheers,
    Sven

Nah, no standards used at all. About the only thing standard in it is the steel grade (EN25) and the thread pitch (M48x2). Works well though, and does what I ask of it...

Well, finally!

For anyone who wants to make a spindle or a spindle nose, here you go!
    http://www.primenta.se/pub/spindle_noses.pdf

Cheers,
    Sven