587,900 active members*
3,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My Pilot Pro Ex Extended

Well, I figured I finally had something worth posting.
    I started out well over a year ago. I built the JGRO and the 3-Axis HobbyCNC controller. This was a great machine, thanks JGRO for the plans, I learned a lot from building this. I then made a bone head move. I started running a program without the spindle on. Ouch! The poor thing was toast.

I then came across the Pilot Pro Ex designed by Phil at www.pdjinc.com. I purchased the CD for $29. This thing has a ton of info, drawings, parts lists, programs and lots and lots of pictures.
    Here are a few details:

Cutting area: X=27”, Y=36”, Z=4.5”. I had built the table for my JGRO so I just extended the Pilot Pro Ex to fit the table.

Spindle: Hitachi M12VC with an extension using ER11 collets.

½-20 ACME screws with Dumpsters nuts, www.dumpstercnc.com. These anti backlash nuts are so much better than the homemade ones I attempted to make.

VXB Linear Bearings and blocks.

HobbyCNC 3 axis controller. www.hobbycnc.com This was a fun 1st time ever project. I also built the power supply according to the instructions included in the kit. Great instructions and support.

I purchased and I am using Mach3 to control everything.

I also built a dust collection system based on plans from ShopNotes. The dust collector on the spindle is still a work in progress.

I still need to install home/limit switches and do a little wire maintenance.

Time to make some noise!

xmac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0343 (2).JPG   DSCN0342 (3).JPG  

Looks great, now lets see a vid of it in action.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

xmac:

Is the table welded or bolted construction?

I am interested in the Pilot Pro as well. Keep the pictures coming!

Wolfspaw

Hey Wolfspaw,
    I have been out of town, sorry I have not responded sooner.
    The table is both welded and bolted. The table ends are the only pieces that are welded, but it would be pretty easy to modify and just bolt together.
    The cd included the instructions for building a jig for welding the table ends. I made mine out of MDF and built both ends in this jig. The jig was not required but I felt this made sure both ends where built the same.
    The build was pretty straight foward.
    xmac

Smile Nice Work!!!

Hello Xmac,

This is Phil from www.pdjinc.com, I congratulate you on a job that is very well done!

I have updated the CD with even more information! Including the limit switches and vacuum attachment.

I would like very much to add your experience to my testimonials. If you would be kind enough to send me something I can quote with some pictures to [email protected] I will gladly send you an updated CD for your trouble.

I extend this offer to anyone who gets the combo CD, kit or completed machine and reports back with something I can post on my page.

You did a fantastic job on building the Pilot Pro Ex CNC router!

Take care,
    Phil
    [email protected]
    www.pdjinc.com

Thanks Phil. I enjoyed building the Pilot Pro Ex.
    I down loaded the trial version of V-Carve and cut out a few samples they had, everything worked great.
    Give me a couple of days and I will gladly send you an email. Work has been nuts with it being the end of the quarter and fiscal year.

Thanks again,

xmac

Xmac,
    If I can trouble you for a question...

My best friend and I are in the beginning stages of building the Pilot Pro Ex as well. My question is, if you were to build the machine again, is there anything that you have encountered that you would change, beef up or alter in the machine for functionality, fit or control?

I'm a shipwright and my best friend is a machinist with full access to a fully tooled machine shop (nothing CNC tho).

Thanks kindly,
    Ted Hamilton

Ted,
    Sorry about the late reply, I was out of town with no computer.

My Pilot Pro has been great. Phil has a solid plan and was a joy to build.
    I built mine just a little larger so the only change I made was to add an x-tra support for the the table.

Keep us posted of your progress.

xmac

Well... so far, one of the things that has concerned me is the tolerances of the guide rails. With a fair bit of extra materials at our disposal, we are looking and will probably machine the table framework from T-6061 aluminum billet. As we have some sizeable ends around here in the 1"x4" range. This would allow us to locate the bearing holes accurately and bore them identically... allowing a bearing on each end of the leadscrews. As well we can locate the holes for the offsets on the guiderails very accurately.

My question, as I haven't researched it much yet, is how much space is there below the 1 1/4" square tube frame of the x rails and the lower aluminum crossmember of the gantry. We are considering beefing that long section up by leaving as much meat of the 1"x4" in as possible. This should allow a bit more weight to be retained for vibration and rigidity.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ted

Talking New designs added to the Combo Special CD!

Hi All,

I have added 2 new Pilot Pro designs and a lot more information to the Combo Special CD. These new designs are dual drive, easier to build, exclusively made of metal, and no welding is required. I have attached a couple of pictures below.

The new designs can use a plasma torch as well as a router. For more pictures, videos, and information please check out my home page at www.pdjinc.com

Take care,
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails left view 2 up sm.JPG   right view low1 up sm.JPG  

I`ve completed the machine and have it all hooked up.Have completed the testing of the wiringand everything is ok.bought the license for Mach 3 Mill and set it up.Used the MPG to check out each axis and everythig is ok. Configured the limits in each axis as OR`ed,and wired in the Em Stop on the panel. Checked the function of each switch and it reset each time.As soon as I apply power to the stepper board ,the programme tells me to either reset the Em stop or Limit switch needs resetting
    What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?.
    Thanx for your encouragement PDJ Alls well here in South Africa(North Riding)

Talking Noisy limit switch circuit

Hi Arfermoson,

I am glad to hear everything is cool in South Africa.

This problem is probably due to noise being induced into the limit switch circuit from the motors. I filter this noise with a capacitor (about 1 to 4.7uF) across the switch input and ground. However, you can use the software filter in Mach3. Go to the "General Config" menu and set the "Input Signal Debouncing" to 25 or more until the problem goes away.

Please send a picture of your machine. Here are some of the latest design - 8020 version.

Best regards,
    Phil

Limit Switch

Hi arfermoson,

How is everything in South Africa?

Best regards,
    Phil

Did you try adjusting the filter setting in Mach3? For more info write me at [email protected]