587,415 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Belt drive installation

Just a quick post with a big "Thank you" to Arizonavideo for my recently installed belt drive conversion. I'd had the head apart a few times and it's been a mess every time. It started with a bearing that was incorrectly installed at the factory locking up and spinning in the top plate and ended with the gears chewing themselves up at an incredible pace.

The last time I had it apart, I put a few magnets down in the oil. When I got the belt drive, I drained the oil and opened it up again. The magnets were covered in so much black iron powder that I didn't realize what they were at first. I've only worked on one other IH12Z and that was at Tommys shop so I don't have much reference for a "normal" amount of noise, but after a little fine positioning, the new belt drive is quieter than our belt drive knee mill. It's really cool to finally be able to hear the cutting rather than the gears.

Right now I'm topping out at 5800 rpm with the TRBs and it sounds great all the way up. No issues with torque so far, but I haven't pushed it either. My next project will be cutting control panels out of Al with a 0.125" 2 flute. I'd been using a router before which worked great (as long as I cut at 40"/min, but wouldn't allow for flood coolant. Running these panels unattended will be a big time saver.

Ken

We want videos, We want videos......

It's great to hear some feedback Ken, glad it's working well.

1/8" two flute is just a little guy, do you have lots of small holes to make?

Thanks
    Dave

Where do I get info on the belt drive system. I googled arizonavideo for a tag and only got thread hits. I have a lathemaster ZAY I'm considering converting.
    Thanks and congrats on your conversion Ken.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Bill,

You can PM him on this forum. He posted just before you in this thread. Post again if you have trouble with that and I'm sure he'll get back to you.

Dave,

I'm using the 1/8" largely to minimize cutting forces. Larger cutters require more serious work holding and/or a down-cutting endmill while the 1/8" just needs a couple little clamps. I also have some 90 deg inside corners that require only light filing when I use the 1/8" rather than a separate machining procedure if I were to use a larger endmill.

Ken

Bill:

I have not gone full production on the belt drives so haven't done a thread or posted them in the classifieds.

Send me a PM and I will give you my email.

I'm here most every night.

Thanks
    Dave

I am also a happy camper with a belt drive conversion from arizonavideo (Dave).

Hey Guys;
    My name is on Dave's list and my Lathemaster ZAY head is apart for modification. I'm now looking at new bearings in anticipation of a 7K spindle speed. Quick question for you! Did you guys change to AC bearings and if so, did you opt for the high price Nachi bearings listed in GDMarsh's thread (also referenced in Warfields blog)? Paying $300 for bearings to install in that ugly, dirty, home made looking chinese cast head has me wondering if the less expensive bearings will work just as well. I've not installed and preloaded spindle bearings before, so I'm a bit concerned that if I do something wrong, will I trash 300 buck bearings? The idea I'm toying with is to install the lesser priced bearings along with a couple of TC's and monitor the heat build up. It may be a waste of money if the cheaper bearings heat up too much but I"ll just write it off to experience and shell out for the good Nachi's.
    Anyway, that's my plan!
    Any advise or thoughts?
    Thanks and congrats on the belt drive.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

As of this writing, I still have OEM rollers (well greased) in play. Had them up to 7000 for a short burst just to see if I could. I have some SKF AC bearings on order. Will likely wait until the rollers give out. But with Dave's belt drive there is no more oil bath to carry particles around inside the head.